This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

cheapest way to send clothes?

(6 Posts)
MrPony Tue 05-Jul-16 19:36:59

I've not been ebaying for long and am getting a bit confused. I've sold a few bits and used ebay guide price for postage, however when I've gone to post them it's cost me £1+ more. Could it be my packaging?

How does everyone else send clothes? Is recorded essential?

19lottie82 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:40:33

No recorded isn't essential. It's up to you whether you think the extra cost is worth the benefit.

Bear in mind that unless you can prove how much you paid for the clothes originally (not what they sold for on eBay), the only compensation you will recieve from RM is a book of stamps!

Personally I use recorded as a method to reduce eBay would be scammers, rather than the item actually getting lost by RM.

When posting clothes, package items flat. If the thickness of the package is less than 25mm, the parcel will be a LOT cheaper.

To get an idea of prices, use Royal Mail Price Finder, rather than ebays very random estimates.

LoadsaBlusher Thu 14-Jul-16 17:06:27

If it is a small single item of clothing , like a chiffony type blouse / top then I can usually send this as a large letter .
I pack it in a plastic mailing bag ( I bulk order these on EBay ).
I ensure it is kept flat and to the correct size for a large letter by laying the top on a piece of cardboard then slotting this into the mailbag it keeps it lying flat .

If I am posting bulkier items like kids jackets etc , I just cost everything at £3.35 , the price of small parcel .
I post everything in pink mailing bags.
Always first class.
I never use recorded delivery .
In over ten years of EBay selling i have only been stung twice with items getting lost / buyers claiming non delivery .

You can order large letter / small parcel guides on EBay to help you see if your package will fit through each slot.

smilingeyes11 Tue 19-Jul-16 11:52:21

I send Hermes - free tracking too and link to eBay so it automatically uploads tracking info to the eBay transaction.

millymae Tue 19-Jul-16 20:29:38

Lots of people use Hermes I know, but my conscience won't let me - they treat their delivery drivers appallingly and my one experience of buying something from a company that used them resulted in a 6 week wait for it to arrive.
I use Royal Mail, and send everything that sells for less than £20.00 by 2nd class post with proof of posting.
You can send a small parcel weighing up to 2kg for £2.85 but items such as a baby boden dress can go for £1.20 if packed carefully. Because I tend to drop off at the Post Office early quite a lot of the things I post arrive next day ( I can tell from feedback received)
Over the years I've sent an awful lot of parcels with Royal Mail and touch wood I've never had one get lost. In my time I've also been one of the Post Office's mystery shoppers and again every item I was due to receive arrived on time and those I sent out also got to their destination without getting lost.

lljkk Tue 19-Jul-16 20:41:15

I've had loads of stuff go missing when sent by RM. But only if it was worth at least £20 and I didn't send recorded. Stuff that sold for £5-£10 never went missing, recorded or not. Funny coincidence. hmm

I now send recorded only for items that are worth £13+ with postage. I always include postage in purchase price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now