This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

WWYD next - collection item dragging on.

(7 Posts)
doradoo Mon 06-Jun-16 08:47:28

I sold a large collection only item on 17.4 .

Sent the invoice a few days later with my number to contact me for a collection date.

4.5 nothing heard so a reminder sent. Received apologies that they'd been ill so not collected. I said - ok contact me when you are better.

31.5 nothing heard so further reminder sent. Said would speak with her partner and contact me again the following evening.

No further contact received so I resisted the item yesterday. I wasn't able to open a case or cancel the sale due to the time passed since the original sale. (I thought I'd set it up so a case would open after 4 days automatically but that doesn't seem to have happened here)

Buyer messages me last night to say that they are now going into hospital for 14 days and will arrange a collection as soon as they can - they still want item.

Don't really know whether I should just tell them they've missed the boat - or if I'm obliged to hold out for them. DH thinks I should reply to latest message and say tough you've had your chance, I'm inclined to give a last and final date but not sure if I'm being too generous.

New listing already has bids and watchers.

WWYD in this situation?

robin64 Mon 06-Jun-16 12:49:29

I would probably check with ebay live chat (that you can't be given a neg by buyer) but I think you have been more than fair already. Maybe just message the buyer saying "really sorry to hear you have been unwell but due to space issues I must sell my item asap and have no option but to re list. I have been hanging on to this item for 6 weeks already and I cannot keep it any longer."

It is a shame about them being ill but in all honesty the lack of contact thing would have annoyed me.

doradoo Mon 06-Jun-16 15:24:57

So I called eBay and explained the predicament, because I can't cancel the sale online properly due to time lapse it seems thT unless the buyer also agrees to cancel the sale I will just have to wait for them as the sale is a legally binding contract - I can't resell it in case she then turns up to claim it.

Am not in the UK so don't know if the rules are different but it looks like I'm stuck unless I can get buyer to agree.... Grrrrr

smilingeyes11 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:01:29

If they ignore the cancellation request for 7 days I think it ends in your favour doesn't it - you don't have to wait indefinitely?

Also add them to BBL so when you relist they can't bid again.

19lottie82 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:24:28

I agree, message the buyer and tell them that you can't wait that long and have to cancel the sale.

I don't think you can open an unpaid item case now due to the amount of time that has passed.

However the buyer can't open a case against you for the same reason.
They could leave you negative feedback, but I'm pretty sure eBay would remove it in this situation.

I take it the payment situation was cash upon collection?

19lottie82 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:25:25

Personally I never bother selling collection only items on eBay, it's too much hassle for reasons like this. I always use gumtree for non post able items.

doradoo Mon 06-Jun-16 16:56:30

Yes cash on collection - so they've not paid yet. I've paid the fees though 😡.

DH wrote me a good email explaining all this - but it's too long for eBay message system (in German so uses more words....)

Will have to play hardball and stick to my guns.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now