This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Does eBay always take 10% final value fee?

(11 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Thu 02-Jun-16 23:27:05

Or is it capped at a certain amount?

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-16 03:46:16

I think it's capped for cars. And business sellers get a discount.
Different fees outside uK, too.
In UK, Ebay take 10% of final sale value PLUS 10% of any delivery charge (postage).
+ paypal-in UK take 20p + 3.4% of value of entire transaction.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 03-Jun-16 19:21:29

thanks. I'm used to selling but not for high value items. Currently selling something for my father which is currently over 2k (bids) but as I'm not a business seller and it's not a car, I guess they will take a big chunk! ah well (I'm in UK)

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-16 19:31:14

Wow, you need to look at the best ways to be paid (safest for both sides). Good luck!

smilingeyes11 Fri 03-Jun-16 21:08:06

If it is collected then you must only take cash or bank transfer.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 04-Jun-16 00:17:27

Yes, have stated that if collecting, only cash or bank transfer.
If I have to send, then Paypal only

maggiethemagpie Sat 18-Jun-16 11:40:06

It doesn't take the FVF when the sale is for charity

adagio Sat 18-Jun-16 13:19:09

Oh dear, I think I have just worked out I may be almost making a loss when selling on eBay (uk)!

So, having read lljkk that means that I need to mark up postage by at least 10% and if something sells for say £1 and postage is 'standard'
£2.80 (which eBay pre fill and you have to overwrite to change, and will actually cost 2.85 in post office branch now) then fees will be 3.8p to eBay, 32.9p to PayPal. God it really is hardly worth it for low value items!

Sorry this has nothing to do with the thread! 😀

19lottie82 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:38:40

Why sell at £1 if it's not worth it? Simply start your auction at say £3? If it doesn't sell, then just give it to the charity shop. Much less hassle.

lljkk Sat 18-Jun-16 14:58:12

I don't bother selling unless i"m sure of getting at least £1 profit after all the costs. I always do inclusive postage in entire price so that I can't have postage amount disputes.

adagio Sat 18-Jun-16 18:15:21

Yes, to be honest for that 'profit' I'll be going back to giving everything to the charity shop. I only started ebaying now i am on mat leave but everything seems to sell for peanuts (baby clothes, maternity clothes)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now