This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

eBay AIBU!

(17 Posts)
RaeSkywalker Sat 28-May-16 12:49:45

I bought a T-Shirt via eBay last week. It arrived yesterday- and it's BNWT condition as decribed. However, it's made of velour.

I hate the feel of velour, I would never have bought the item if the listing stated what it was made of. The listing did not have the material specified at all, it just says 'brand new, excellent condition'. I don't think it's unreasnoble that I assumed that a T-Shirt would be cotton or similar.

The seller is refusing to let me return it, saying that if I have a problem with a certain material, I should've messaged them to ask before bidding. I think that the seller should've described the item more accurately with the material to start with. It would never have occurred to me to think that a T-Shirt would be made of this material. In the photos it just looks like brushed cotton.

So, wise people of Mumsnet, who is in the right here? I'm genuinely flummoxed about what to do- I've used eBay for over 10 years and have only had a problem as a buyer once before.

lljkk Sat 28-May-16 13:52:30

Open a case for not as described.
Go to Ebay resolution centre & follow instructions. Your return postage will be paid for automatically AFAIK.
Wow, I never heard of a velour Tshirt.

RaeSkywalker Sat 28-May-16 14:12:30

Thank you lljkk! Do you think it qualifies as "not as described"? The seller says it doesn't because she didn't say what the material was. Urgh.

I raised an official returns request and the seller is now saying I can return it but have to pay the postage myself. I've read ebay's policy and it says that sellers are responsible for this for unsuitable items, but she says no.

I think I'll have to wait until the window for her to respond expires and then open a case. I can't believe this- firstly who the heck wants a velour t-shirt, and secondly who on earth would list a velour t-shirt and neglect to mention this? When I sell on eBay I list everything (measurements, materials, washing instructions).

DH thinks I should just let it go for the sake of my own sanity.

lljkk Sat 28-May-16 15:00:42

If it's a commercial (business) seller than they have to refund you just because you don't like it: distance selling regs.
Otherwise, no one is going to dispute your right to return. If you really want to be nice you could pay return postage (send it signed for or recorded delivery).
I found velour T-shirts online now, they seem to sell often for £25+. Did you pay that much?

lljkk Sat 28-May-16 15:02:55

oh yeah... if it was returning because you don't like it then you should pay return postage. Was the type of fabric not indicated on the original listing? Ebay nags sellers if we don't include those details, so I'm surprised if not there.

RaeSkywalker Sat 28-May-16 15:10:51

Type of fabric was not indicated at all, at any point on the listing. It literally just says 'brand new, excellent condition'. Nothing on the item specifics either. The seller admits this but says I should've asked and it's not their fault. I kind of think that the onus is on them for describing properly in the first place. If it said velour on the listing and I wanted to return I would pay return postage without question, but in my mind this issue has been caused by lack of information on the listing and I shouldn't be penalised for that.

I only paid £10 so not as bad as it could've been!

EveryoneElsie Sat 28-May-16 16:07:11

Its not as described, you wouldnt expect a t shirt to be velour.
Its up to them to make the listing accurate. Not up to you to ask stupid questions just in case!
'Does this smell of bananas?'
'Is it actually made of cheese?'
You could go on forever...

RaeSkywalker Sat 28-May-16 16:25:37

EveryoneElsie grin

I'm tempted to email her back saying that but I think I'll take the moral high ground and raise a case instead.

RaeSkywalker Tue 07-Jun-16 15:32:34

Just wanted to update on this- I opened a case, and eBay have found in my favour. I need to print a return label and take the item back to the Post Office tomorrow.

My DM told me to let it go- "it's not worth the grief", and I was actually going to cancel the case based on this, but then I got home to find that the buyer sent a message calling me stupid, so I decided to continue.

Fingers crossed the refund comes through quickly.

RaeSkywalker Tue 07-Jun-16 15:33:19

^ seller, not buyer <facepalm>

DownstairsMixUp Tue 07-Jun-16 15:35:41

Forward the rude message to ebay to. They dont like people getting arsey on private messages.

RaeSkywalker Tue 07-Jun-16 15:38:54

Thanks Downstairs- not sure whether to or not- I don't want them to withhold the refund and I'm not 100% sure if the refund process is controlled by eBay because it's via the resolution centre, or if the seller can still throw a spanner in the works confused

smilingeyes11 Tue 07-Jun-16 18:10:09

did they message you via the communication centre? Their reply means nothing, you will get your refund. Just add the tracking. What a rude seller they are.

RaeSkywalker Tue 07-Jun-16 18:16:19

Yes they did. I've added tracking and ignored. Probably won't leave them bad feedback because I can't be bothered, just want to get it over with now!

robin64 Thu 09-Jun-16 20:08:22

You can leave very low stars for description and communication - this does impact the seller and yes you can leave negative or neutral fb - seller cannot return that to you. Very foolish of seller to treat you like this and very rude. You can report the seller to ebay if they have been unpleasant. I think you would be right to leave a neg here. After all it has been a poor experience.

Lack of details and description really puts me off.

RaeSkywalker Fri 10-Jun-16 11:05:43

Thanks robin, I might do that when I'm feeling brave! I've definitely learned my lesson and won't bid on anything without a full description again- it's not worth it.

I've just had an email to say that my refund has come through. Horray!

Gingefringe Thu 16-Jun-16 15:37:17

What a load of hassle for you. Some sellers can get really arsey and think that they can get out of paying for postage.

To be fair to Ebay I think that they have now got their act together and have a pretty good resolution service - the fact that you can get eBay pre-paid return labels is a real bonus and the procedure is easy to follow.

These sellers definitely need negative (or at least neutral) feedback by the way but keep it factual otherwise eBay may remove if requested by the seller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now