This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What should I do with items not selling?

(16 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Sat 23-Apr-16 08:19:36

Have a few items listed for sale... Summer dress, sandals etc but there seem to be no biters on them?

The sandals are worn once should I relist later as I started them at 99p? And some of the other bits too.

The other pieces are selling nicely including a LK Bennett pair of shoes I got from a charity shop! Not brilliant prices but ok.

By the way the photos are ok, not excellent but took them in a good light against kitchen door, should they be better? You can see the items and their Labels etc and if they're new with tags.

Thanks

OldJoseph Sat 23-Apr-16 08:28:09

Things that put me off buying ebay clothes are:

Pricey p&p costs putting up the overall cost of an item.
Poor descriptions rather than poor photographs eg 'nice jumper size 10' instead of 'navy blue, 100% cotton jumper, armpit to armpit is 17 inches and length from nape to hem is 23 inches' for example. If that information isn't there I usually ask for it if I can be bothered. The quality of the photograph also depends on the screen you are using to look at it.
'Worn once' shoes does that means 'worn once to a wedding' or 'worn once whilst hiking and didn't take them off for a week'

19lottie82 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:33:01

The reality is, unless they are really in demand items / brands, used clothes don't sell that well on eBay I'm afraid, in particular shoes.

How badly do you want rid of them? If it was me, I'd put them at a low start price at auction (inc an accurate postage price, not worth sending tracked if value is under £20) and run on a 10 day auction.

You don't necessarily have to start at 99p, but maybe 2.99 or 4.99?

List everything to start / finish at the same time then as long as everyone pays within a couple of days, which they usually do, you can take everything to the PO in one swoop.

19lottie82 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:34:11

Oh and you get 12 photos, use them. Make sure the lighting is good. I usually lay my items on a white bed sheet

19lottie82 Sat 23-Apr-16 08:35:55

Sorry just noticed a lot of the items are new with tags, so not used, but the same principle applies, peopl want things for cheap on eBay so even what you consider an "ok" asking price may put people off!

SuperFlyHigh Sat 23-Apr-16 08:58:39

OldJoseph you're right actually I should specify the worn part of it! One pair of sandals are uncomfy but nice.

19lottie82 they are sort of in demand items, named brands, nice stuff. Only a year or 2 old.

I've gone with what eBay thinks are the good prices (eg their starting one rather than 99p) maybe this is what I'm doing wrong? My P&P is average not unreasonable.

Thanks!

Allyoucaneat Sat 23-Apr-16 09:04:14

I always starts at 99p. Some things sell some don't. If I've listed them a few times and still haven't sold they go to the charity shop. I think p&p does limit what people are willing to pay.

Then some things go for silly prices someone just bought 5 sainsburys kids tshirts from me for £11+p&p...that's probably more than I paid new.

Are you making sure you have key words in the title too E.g. for sandals: summer, holiday, size, colour, brand, wedding etc.

EveryoneElsie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:25:09

I never start at 99p unless I dont mind an item selling at that.
Just use your free listings for them. If you really want to get rid do them as a job lot to car booters, then they only have one lot of P&P to pay.

19lottie82 Sat 23-Apr-16 14:41:31

OP what kind of brands are you talking about?

As I said if they're cluttering up your home and you just want rid of them, start the auctions @ 99p. Obviously you'll need to take what they go for, but at the end of the day, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and they're unlikely to go up in value.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 23-Apr-16 15:00:57

Brands so far are Oasis, Top Shop, Warehouse so fairly decent brands.

summerwinterton Sat 23-Apr-16 15:42:23

Do buy it now with best offer and free p&p and send via hermes. Never start at 99p, that is pointless really.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 23-Apr-16 17:37:27

summer I think I will,try that thanks.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 23-Apr-16 17:41:48

Try selling the sandals as well worn. Attracts a rather different buyer

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Sat 23-Apr-16 17:42:38

Your starting price is probably too high. eBay psychology is weird. Items starting at 99p will go higher than you might have put for your starting price but if you put what you want to get at the start nobody will bid.

GoldPlatedBacon Sat 23-Apr-16 17:53:26

I sell similar to what oldjoseph looks for.

I list everything starting for 99p.

I use all photographs. I show front/back of clothes. I show insole, under neath and sides of shoes.

I detail the material composition.

I detail measurements (usually something like 'approx 17 inches'). I often include photo with the tape measure showing the size, especially with items which state, for example, size 10 but are actually more like size 6.

I list information about the items so if a dress has a side zip I say that.

Try key words in the title. I don't list 'size 6 shoes'. I list 'size 6 nwt [new with tags] purple buckled shoes goth alternative rockabilly ' (or whatever genre I could arguably claim they fit in to).

Keep p&p realistic. Shoes are often high because of their size and weight but if they are good condition and a reasonable brand I don't find I have trouble selling them. That said, it is surprising how much some Primark items sell for. I recently sold a dungaree dress for £33. It cost me £7 in the sale last summer.

SuperFlyHigh Sat 23-Apr-16 21:37:35

Interesting goldplatedbacon

I usually do list at 99p, always include material composition and put what it is brand etc and size but not punk goth etc

In the listing of one of the tops I did put emo style as it is a bit but that could go in description!

I put info and what type of wear in main body eg summer dress ideal for holidays but I don't do measurements and I suppose I should!

My p&p is always reasonable.

Funny you should say that about primark back in 2005 or so when I first started selling I bought a few NWT primark dresses, never bothered to take them back (queues are dire for returns at our primark) but they sold like hot cakes, especially to Europe. Same with primark bikinis and some sandals I bought there... Went very easily and for higher prices than I paid for them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now