This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

SENDING AN IPHONE VIA EBAY GLOBAL SHIPPING

(6 Posts)
nippysweetie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:44:45

I listed my iphone for sale on ebay and set the usual restrictions for postage(postage to UK only). I realised too late with 12 hours to go that the highest bidder was based in Malta. I then edited the ad to state in the description that postage was within the UK only.

I have realised too late that I have automatically been opted in for the Global shipping scheme, having not used ebay for a couple of years I didn't know anything about this. I'm not happy about posting to international buyers even going through a UK distribution centre. Does anyone have any experience of this?

HarrysMummy17 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:52:18

I posted my iPhone via global shipping service about 18 months ago. I was worried but if all went through fine. I think my phone went to India or somewhere!

Sorry I'm not much help but I believe the global shipping system is better than just posting abroad!

nippysweetie82 Fri 01-Apr-16 18:59:22

Thanks for your reply, that eases my mind a bit. I thought about just cancelling it but I'm not sure what to do for the best.

EveryoneElsie Fri 01-Apr-16 23:18:44

I had a similar sale for an electrical item and was not happy about the buyer. I alerted ebay and they cancelled the transaction. Check out their feedback and see what you think.

mrsmata Sat 02-Apr-16 23:17:33

I have used the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) on Ebay as a business seller since it began and have to say that I absolutely love it.

You do need to send your item to the distribution centre via a tracked method but once it is confirmed as arrived Ebay then take responsibility for ensuring that it arrives safe and sound with the buyer and they also deal with any customs labels and charges too.
Once the item is forwarded by Ebay to the buyer the seller isn't responsible for any loss or damage and Ebay will deal with any such claims if they arise. I've not been notified about any problems by my buyers so I assume that either everything has arrived ok or Ebay have dealt with issues.

Ebay have always notified me when they've received my items at their distribution centre and sent me the onward tracking details too so I can check up on progress and delivery if I want to or the buyer asks a question about delivery. The invoice details will show you how much Ebay has charged the buyer for the service but as this is between the buyer and Ebay the seller isn't charged a percentage of this cost as fees. The buyer will also pay the UK postage cost for sending the item to the distribution centre too unless the seller is offering free UK postage.

Initially I was a bit sceptical but gave it a go to see how well it worked and I have found that international buyers do seem to like GSP. I'm selling more to them than I was before when I offered Royal Mail or Courier tracked services despite the Ebay GSP postage being higher than I used to charge.

I can only speak from my experience and I have found it a convenient, cheap and stress free way of selling abroad - my buyer feedback about it has been really positive about it too.

19lottie82 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:19:33

The main problem I have with GSP sales is that a lot of the time (50%?) the buyers won't pay once they are hit with the astronomical postage charges by eBay.

As long as that problem doesn't arise then you don't really have anything to worry about. Well, no more than a regular UK sale. Just make sure you send the item tracked to the GSP centre and upload the details against the sales record.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now