This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

new to eBay!

(9 Posts)
dilys4trevor Thu 24-Mar-16 16:17:15

New to eBay and struggling a hit with the lingo and etiquette. Someone has offered a 'best offer' but it's below my set price. It expires in a day or so. What does that mean? It's their only offer?

Thanks!

PinotEgregio Thu 24-Mar-16 16:54:34

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/selling-basics.html

You can accept the best offer if you want but you don't have to. If you reject the offer they might raise it, but of course they might not.

lljkk Thu 24-Mar-16 17:06:27

They are hoping you will sell it cheap.

When to say No to best offer

When you know it's worth way more than that
When you have lots of watchers
When you are happy to take a while to sell it

When to say Yes to best offer

When you have listed the item a few times already & no one bid
When you just want to see back of it
When you need the money NOW & can't wait
When the price is almost what you think is best price you'll get & they are nicely messaging to say they will turn up to pay cash 30 seconds after they win

dilys4trevor Thu 24-Mar-16 20:26:35

Thank you both loads! I am finding the whole business confusing.

I have three best offers now (all under 'asking price') and 21 watchers. I think I will wait. Do I need to respond?

Sorry to be such a numbskull

lljkk Thu 24-Mar-16 21:22:58

DEFFO wait. And politely turn down. You must have a hot item at a low price to get so much interest.

dilys4trevor Thu 24-Mar-16 21:38:31

Thanks! Do I need to actively reject these offers (rather than ignore) and do I need to send a note too or just 'reject'? I want to make sure I get positive feedback from eventual buyer you see.

SandwichYum Thu 24-Mar-16 21:42:56

The offers expire after 48 hours so you don't need to contact them to reject. You can make a counter offer though.

lljkk Thu 24-Mar-16 22:09:03

yeah, wrt feedback, it's a good idea to send a polite decline just in case.
Something like "Sorry about the best offer button, I didn't realise Ebay had added that." though it may be a fib, but still keep them interested.

Don't tell them you have 21 watchers, they may not bother any more if you do!

EveryoneElsie Sat 26-Mar-16 00:25:43

When you are new on Ebay you tend to get a lot of pushy demands to sell at a low price. Just ignore them, if they really want the item they can bid like civilised people grin

Dont worry about it, you can revise your item and untick the Best Offer button. They cant leave negative feedback because you did that.
Dont let people hold to to ransom over feeback either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now