This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants compensation

(8 Posts)
PinotAndPlaydough Fri 18-Mar-16 14:50:09

So an item of baby clothing which was in very good condition, they are claiming there is a stain on the neck which won't come off despite them washing it. They are also claiming that I purposely hid the stain in the photos. There wasn't a stain as far as I knew and I certainly didn't try and hide anything.
I've asked them to send me photos and am fully prepared to refund if there is a mark and they send it back, however they are asking that they keep the item and I just refund them some of the money. Am I within my rights to say no? I feel like they are just trying it on and I honestly sold it in good faith and would have said if there were any marks.

19lottie82 Fri 18-Mar-16 16:40:07

You are under no obligation to offer a partial refund, and certainly not without any proof!

There are a lot of chancers out there. If they supply evidence then it's up to you if you want to issue a partial refund.

If they don't, or even if they do, all eBay will enforce (if th buyer opens a case) is a refund upon return, but be aware that you will be made to pay for the return postage.

If You are certain there is no Mark, I would tell them to return the item for a full refund. Chances aren't they won't bother.

expatinscotland Fri 18-Mar-16 16:45:46

Nope, I wouldn't do the partial refund. They are chancing it. I'd tell them to send it back for full refund and you will pay for postage.

MooningIntoTheAbyss Sun 20-Mar-16 08:25:32

Since when are Ebay making sellers pay for returns?

I've always had to pay my own return postage. Which is frustrating and makes me often not bother returning, has it changed?

OP - I don't give partial refunds personally (unless special circs) cos there are too many chancers out there.
I stand the party line 'return for full refund' or nothing happens

19lottie82 Sun 20-Mar-16 17:29:31

Yes it changed about 18 months ago. To get a prepaid label you need to open a case.

Sellers paying for returns is only when the item is not as described though. If it's a non fault return then the buyer pays.

MooningIntoTheAbyss Sun 20-Mar-16 20:14:41

Oh I see...
And seeing as 'item not as described' is virtually impossible to prove incorrect as a seller its another 'blanket' win for buyers I guess?

I really am getting a bit disheartened with Ebay. Don't get me wrong, I see the point in the policy and as a buyer this is great, but it will suck for a seller who sells a top the buyer decides not to keep and says NAD and seller has to pay return postage!

19lottie82 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:48:05

Yes, that's pretty much it.....

GreenFirefly Thu 31-Mar-16 16:52:02

I've got a similar issue, again baby clothes which the buyer feels are rubbish (one has slight stains as described and photoraphed). Buyer has asked for money back - on a 99p item (£3 postage). No case open as yet but I don't want to lose any more money by having to pay for a return. Do I just cut my losses?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now