This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why don't sellers respond?

(7 Posts)
christinarossetti Fri 26-Feb-16 14:48:28

I've used e-bay for years; very few problems.

Two separate items I've bought haven't been delivered to me over the past month or so. Both times they've been marked as 'despatched' but not arrived. Both times I've contacted the seller who just hasn't responded.

Still sitting the second one out, but e-bay refunded me immediately when I contacted them after the seller hadn't replied first time.

What is the reason for not replying? Does it mean that you don't have to refund? One a business seller and one a private seller who sells loads, so no way they haven't checked their mail.

Quoteunquote Fri 26-Feb-16 18:05:49

Because they didn't send it, and they know eBay refunded you, so cannot be bothered and care little about repeat custom.

christinarossetti Sat 27-Feb-16 07:37:48

So iif e-Bay refunds the buyer doesn't have to?

Didn't realise that. Thatakes sense!

19lottie82 Sat 27-Feb-16 09:20:38

No. eBay will still issue a refund from the sellers account......

There's a few reasons why sellers won't get back to you, none of which are acceptable.

Mainly, they're sticking their head in the sand when an item hasn't been sent, either accidentally (if you're selling high volumes the odd thing can often be overlooked) or on purpose. Or the items been lost in the post.

Same reason as to why buyers who don't pay don't answer your emails..... They don't know you, will never meet you and they prefer to avoid the confrontation.

Or there is the odd occasion when mails vanish in to cyberspace (very rare), but in general the above!

christinarossetti Sat 27-Feb-16 15:22:57

It just feels a bit weird having happened twice in the last month after years and hundreds of straightforward exchanges (aside from one strange buyer who wanted a refund but wouldn't return the item?!?), but maybe coincidence.

AutumnDragon Sat 27-Feb-16 15:57:57

Ebay messaging is very glitchy at the moment. I have 4 questions I need to answer (nothing serious just product queries) and I haven't been able to get on since yesterday morning.

I appreciate that this is probably not the case for your first issue, but possibly for the second?

christinarossetti Sat 27-Feb-16 16:23:14

Possibly, although it's been several days now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now