This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

eBay - item not as described

(25 Posts)
sooperdooper Wed 24-Feb-16 17:58:32

I've just bid on and won what I though was a leather jacket on eBay. It was described as leather in the description and the more info, when it arrived it's faux leather!

I messaged the seller to say I'm disappointed and said I'd accept a partial refund as its not as described but she's maintaining I should've asked her before bidding

If it said leather that's what I was expecting! Am I right to ask for a partial refund? Shes saying its a good price etc but I think that's irreuevsnt because the item isn't as described!

Should I persue via eBay?

stumblymonkey Wed 24-Feb-16 18:07:27

Absolutely. Well within your rights.

If it said leather it should be leather and I'm sure eBay will find in your favour if that's the case.

robin64 Wed 24-Feb-16 18:21:53

You would be best to ask for a full refund and return the item. If the seller does not immediately apologise for a listing error then it is unlikely they will do a deal to make up for the error. I assume it says PU or similar on the label and is obviously not leather (could they have genuinely thought it was leather?) Ebay will just tell you to return the item for a full refund as it is not as described plus you should get your return postage refunded or a paid label for returns - send tracked.

sooperdooper Wed 24-Feb-16 18:47:21

Yeah it's clearly not leather from the label and the seller admits it's not but says I should've asked confused

You're right, maybe I should go for a full refund, oh what a palava I only wanted a jacket!

19lottie82 Wed 24-Feb-16 20:54:45

You can't force the seller to give you a partial refund, only refund upon return. There's no harm in asking though!

What's your ideal outcome here?

sooperdooper Wed 24-Feb-16 21:04:12

I thought I'd suggest a partial refund because tbh I wouldn't have paid so much for an imitation jacket, but I do like the style so if I paid less I'd be happy - also I don't have to bother repackaging & taking to the postoffice which in all honesty is a pain in the bum!

If the seller won't agree I'll have to report to eBay and get a full refund won't I?

robin64 Wed 24-Feb-16 23:57:40

Was it described as a leather jacket? and did it have the item specifics filled out? because there are 2 places where it asks seller to put actual material down so if they put leather in those spaces on the specifics then they have mis sold the item. No it's not up to you to ask or check if it is real leather and bloody cheek of seller to say that tbh. Just message and say you would have only paid X for a faux leather jacket so unless they are happy to sell for that then you will be returning for a refund plus return postage refund too - in this case the seller would lose 2 lots of P&P so it would be in their interest to sort it out fairly. Remember they can't leave you a neg but you could leave one for them and say what they did. Clear case of not as described and ebay will find in your favour.

19lottie82 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:49:57

Exactly what Robin 64 said! If they cooperate then I'd leave neutral feedback (keep it factual), if not then negative.

Let us know how you get on

sooperdooper Thu 25-Feb-16 08:25:46

They wrote leather jacket in the title and in the description - the material section was left blank but I thought as it said leather in two places, not faux leather then that's what it was

I've sent them another message asking if they'll agree to a partial refund given they've admitted they know its not leather and I've said if not I'll have to open an eBay case for a full refund and I've said I'd rather not do that if we can come to an agreement

I've also sent them a link to the eBay help guidelines about items not as described

What a pain in the bum!!

robin64 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:03:29

Let us know how you get on.

19lottie82 Thu 25-Feb-16 13:36:54

You can open a case and request a partial refund of £X to close it and settle the matter. The seller can accept or reject this.

sooperdooper Thu 25-Feb-16 21:18:17

Oh can I, thanks I didn't realise that was possibie, I've suggested a price so if the seller doesn't respond I'll di that, thanks

sooperdooper Fri 26-Feb-16 22:27:52

Seller won't accept a partial refund and the eBay rules says they should pay the return postage, how do I make sure they refund me that?

19lottie82 Sat 27-Feb-16 09:22:41

You can't force them to refund you for it retrospectively.

Call eBay (don't email) and ask them to send you a pre paid trackable returns label, which they will then charge the seller for.

sooperdooper Fri 25-Mar-16 08:59:22

Finally got a pre paid label for return postage and returned the offending jacket this week, eBay have refunded me, all sorted!

The seller still isn't happy and seems to think I'm overreacting confused but I couldn't care less, I'm just glad it's done with

sooperdooper Fri 25-Mar-16 15:31:35

Oh my life - the seller has just messaged me saying the pre paid label was her old address - Surely that's their issue, not mine?? I just printed it out, I'm going to have to contact eBay again, ffs this has totally put me off buying from there again

19lottie82 Fri 25-Mar-16 16:02:29

Yes....... Not your problem. She should have changed her address in the seller details when she moved.

If a refund isn't issued after a few days then contact eBay. Don't worry you'll still get your refund.

sooperdooper Fri 25-Mar-16 16:15:13

Thought so, I'm actually thinking the address isn't wrong at all and she's trying it on because she wasn't happy about having to refund me hmm I'm just going to ignore the message, I really don't care anymore!

robin64 Mon 28-Mar-16 20:37:55

Not all sellers are this bad. Don't be too put off! You have been refunded and used the label ebay gave you which I assume was tracked. You are done. That seller can take it up with ebay. Painful transaction! You really would be okay to neg that seller if you ask me and I rarely ever have done that but they were taking the you know what.

sooperdooper Mon 28-Mar-16 23:22:22

Yeah I've never given negative feedback before but this whole thing has been such a pain I'm tempted to, but she'll just give me negatige feedback in return I guess so I think I'll just leave it

19lottie82 Tue 29-Mar-16 07:06:26

Have you got your refund yet OP? If not, don't leave FB until that's all settled.
A seller can't leave a buyer negative FB. If they use negative phrasing under a positive category, then report it to eBay, as this is against the rules, and will be taken down.

19lottie82 Tue 29-Mar-16 07:08:12

So definitely so leve then negative! Keep it factual. Something along the lines of "item misdescribed. Buyer refused to refund so had to open case and go through Beaufort my money back."

19lottie82 Tue 29-Mar-16 07:08:30

Beaufort? "eBay for"

lljkk Tue 29-Mar-16 14:43:47

Sellers cannot leave neg feedback, sooperdooper. They stopped being able to leave neg f/b like... 5 or more yrs ago.

Pinkheart5915 Tue 29-Mar-16 14:47:02

If the listing said it was leather, then yes peruse via eBay and leave negative feedback.
I

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now