This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer disappointed because they made an assumption.....help

(16 Posts)
MummaV Thu 13-Aug-15 12:30:56

I sold a messenger bag on eBay that has a integrated laptop protective sleeve. I listed it as this and in the description noted that it is perfect for a laptop/netbook/iPad.
I have sold this as it was an unwanted gift and it fits my laptop perfectly but isn't to my taste.

I am received a message from the buyer today stating they are disappointed and feel cheated as its a mini version of the bag they previously had and doesn't fit their large laptop.

I wasn't aware the manufacturer did a larger one and I do not believe this to be an issue with the listing as the item does have a laptop sleeve, the buyer just assumed that it would fit their laptop, which it doesn't.

I have responded and advised that I am sorry that it doesn't suit their needs however the item was sold as described.

For another bag I have sold a potential buyer messaged me for the measurements so they could decide if it was suitable for them. Surely if the buyer had any doubts a simple message could have resolved this prior to purchase?

Where do I stand now? the item was as described however the buyer assumed that it was identical to an item he had previously purchased elsewhere, which it is not.

TIA for any advice.

GoooRooo Thu 13-Aug-15 12:32:25

I would assume that if the decription said "laptop sleeve" that it was big enough for a full sized laptop, not just a notebook.

MummaV Thu 13-Aug-15 12:34:22

It fits my 15.6" laptop. I believe this to be standard full sized laptop size. The buyers laptop is larger than this.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 12:35:55

did you include dimensions in your listing?

YouMakeMyDreams Thu 13-Aug-15 12:43:24

15.6 is the same sidecar my laptop which seemed a standard size when I bought it. Bigger seems put of the ordinary iyswim. You didn't know they did a larger one they didn't know there was a smaller version.
But if you didn't actually put dimensions on you may have to just such it up and refund. Relist with dimensions.

LittleMissLady Thu 13-Aug-15 12:51:10

Agree with pp, if you didn't list with dimensions then technically it is not as described, as it wasn't exactly described.

It is the buyer responsibility to ask questions prior to bidding/winning but that just comes down to human sensibilities... They assumed t would fit as the listing didn't indicate it wouldn't.

At the end of the day if you refuse to refund they can simply open a case with Ebay and Ebay will expect you to refund upon return of item.
Which isn't that great for he buyer either as they have to pay to post it back.

mindyourown15 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:53:30

if you didn't put the measurements on then she would prob win a case. Get her to return and refund. Otherwise she will open a case and neg too and trash your stars probably.

tinkytot Thu 13-Aug-15 12:54:35

I would give them the option to return it to you (at their cost) & you could refund as an act of goodwill.

Sounds like you and the buyer made assumptions.

TheReluctantCountess Thu 13-Aug-15 12:55:06

How big is her laptop?

BertieBotts Thu 13-Aug-15 13:10:03

I'm torn because I don't think that you are obliged to put measurements on and buyers can always ask the question.

But just as you were unaware there was a larger version it seems she was unaware there was a smaller version.

If the listing didn't say a size then I think you are correct that it was sold as described.

If they have a very large laptop then they should have asked for sizing. But I can see why they didn't as they assumed it was like the other bag. But that is not your fault.

I think I would refund if she pays postage and relist just to avoid hassle.

I do think the mistake was the buyer's.

MumOfTheMoment Thu 13-Aug-15 13:15:48

I also think the mistake was the buyer's and they should have clarified the size prior to bidding/buying.

However as pps have said, if she opens a dispute she will win so I would just refund, be pleasant and chalk it up to experience. Then relist at £5 more than she paid to cover postage costs.

SoupDragon Thu 13-Aug-15 13:15:54

TBH, I would not have assumed that something described as "perfect for an iPad" would fit a large laptop. That phrase alone would have rung alarm bells in my head and caused me to ask for dimensions to clarify the size.

MummaV Thu 13-Aug-15 13:42:13

I have offered the option of a refund should they return it at their cost.
It had lots of bids and watchers previously so I am sure it would be easy enough to sell again.
Just very annoyed that I'm having to do it all again!
I didn't put the dimensions in the listing despite having them to hand (I blame baby brain as I fully intended to do it and forgot!). However, if I had a larger than average laptop I would have taken the inititative to send a message and ask the question.

These things do happen and I guess it's just time to suck it up and deal with it.

YeOldeTrout Thu 13-Aug-15 21:55:17

15.6" is huge, blimey. (Bought DH a bag that size recently)

WanderWomble Thu 13-Aug-15 21:59:32

This is why I always list the sizes of stuff that I'm selling.

Floggingmolly Thu 13-Aug-15 22:04:35

"Perfect for iPad" indicates it's iPad size, for most even moderately intelligent people. Would she really win a case for being surprised that it's not, in fact, considerably more than twice the size of an iPad? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now