This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buying from China...

(33 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 29-May-15 21:36:38

I know this has probably been asked 100%....but what problems could I encounter?

I've seen some really nice looking things, that I fancy, but not sure if I want to risk it....confused

LimeFizz Fri 29-May-15 21:37:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeelingSmurfy Fri 29-May-15 21:41:30

Wouldn't buy toys as they aren't properly checked or carrying safety marks (and if they are its false anyway)

Electricals can be really dangerous

Some things I guess there is very little that can go wrong with it (I have recently bought a hairband for myself and an apple slicer)

Lunawolf Fri 29-May-15 21:42:21

Yes the sizes are absolutely tiny hmm

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Fri 29-May-15 21:47:16

It may come with 925 stamp but its not real silver grin

I've ordered various things boots, hair stuff, earrings, bracelets, the odd top some arrives quickly some takes ages.

My teen DD learnt not to take pictures of items literally as she found out when her bag arrived the size of a stamp

twistletonsmythe Fri 29-May-15 22:03:10

Clothes sizes miniscule and quality pretty atrocious I have found.

Cheap costume jewellery ok, and hair bits are often good. And the epistick too.

LynetteScavo Fri 29-May-15 22:06:17

You're not persuading me to part with my cash! grin

SisterMoonshine Fri 29-May-15 22:10:06

I've been surprised at how quick I've received things.
They say the item is from China, but there must be warehouses here somewhere where they are constantly shipping stuff to.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 29-May-15 22:10:40

I ordered a pair of yoga trousers.... I was quite pleased with them until I went to my parents' house and DM informed me she could see my spotty knickers through them!
I will proceed with caution in the future. smile

LynetteScavo Fri 29-May-15 22:15:11

This is just one thing I've been considering

What do you all reckon?

SisterMoonshine Fri 29-May-15 22:37:26

I bought this bag last year.
I understood that compared to me, that model is probably pretty tiny and checked the measurements etc. When the bag came I was happy with it.
But I will say it didn't last long.
It just wasn't up to the job of actually carrying stuff.

HellKitty Fri 29-May-15 22:41:06

I bought some tshirts for less than a fiver each inc p&p. Took just over a week to arrive and they're bloody marvellous! Washed great.

Buy at least one size up, I'm a 10/12 and go for xl confused and check feedback.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sat 30-May-15 09:58:46

That bag ok but notice how tiny the model is so it looks huge. Defiantly check measurements

GemmaTeller Sat 30-May-15 10:04:40

Sometimes stuff arrives quickly (1-2 weeks) sometimes it takes ages (6 weeks +) and sometimes it never arrives.

I did however, buy a beautiful black silk embroidered jacket a few years ago and its beautiful, wore it to a show at the Lowry and a woman asked where I'd bought it from.
The sizes are tiny though, you have to go up one or two sizes, I'm a 12 and the label in the jacket is xxl smile.

whataboutbob Sat 30-May-15 15:10:38

Im ordered a corsage brooch, the kind you see catlwalk models wearing on the Chanel shows, a bit like a gardenia. It was made from a tweedy fabric (not really Harris, obviously) but very nice and a fraction of what I'd have paid in accessorize etc. Obviously no size issues with accessories.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Sat 30-May-15 15:18:54

I have ordered small-ish bits (long armed gloves, a wig (!!)) and had no problems, but they were only for World Book Day and did take some time to arrive. I factored that in, though.

glammanana Sat 30-May-15 19:20:40

I buy all my doggy sweaters and blingy dog collars from China and only usually wait about 7 days for delivery,just becareful your order isn't over £15.00 (I think) or you could be charged extra for delivery (import duty).All the items I have bought my Lhasa Apso have been their large size and fit nicely they must have some very small dogs in China according to the measurements I have seen for sweaters and collars.lol.

BooRadders Sat 30-May-15 19:27:06

Yes....beware as we bought a skating dress from a Bristol listing which turned out to be via China.( this was not at all clear in the listing).....size 6 was actually age 6 and stank of cigarette smoke. Got charged £20 import duty too....so an expensive waste of time as it then had to be returned to an address in Europe!

UnspecialSnowflake Sat 30-May-15 19:27:50

I've had costume jewllery, hair bobbles, phone cases and stationary (6p pad of fancy post its) from China. Am currently waiting on an elephant shaped phone stand I ordered ages ago, but as it cost 99p I'm not excatly stressing about it.

The quality is very variable but most of what I've had has been at least worth the cost and sometimes a real bargin.

IsabellaofFrance Sat 30-May-15 19:35:56

Both my DSes are really into Mario, so I have purchased quite a bit of stuff over the years from China and Hong Kong (100+ itemsblush). As pp have said, quality varies, but have never had a massive issue with quality.

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 30-May-15 19:36:20

I bought a made to measure wedding dress. It was very cheap but wasn't made to measure at all and looked nothing like the picture. I knew it was a gamble though. I sold it on a second hand website to a woman that loved it so not much money lost.
Took ages to arrive as well

ReallyTired Sat 30-May-15 19:37:55

Dd got a swim cap from china that has been sucessful. I agree that you need to order a size up if you are buying clothes.

As far as quality goes, you get what you pay for. I am surprised that the low prices cover the postage.

FeelingSmurfy Sat 30-May-15 21:23:42

Prices confuse me too ReallyTired, sometimes I don't see how the price I have paid covers postage never mind anything else! Most recent item was apple slicer for about £1.29 I couldn't have sent it somewhere else in the UK for that price (excluding packaging costs!) Never mind internationally

twistletonsmythe Sat 30-May-15 21:41:19

their postage to the uk is dirt cheap, and their living expenses are considerably less than us - hence our money buying a lot in their country.

ReallyTired Sat 30-May-15 21:43:01

Even if their postage is dirt cheap, how can international postage cost less than national UK postage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now