This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

can I arrange for courier pick up?

(14 Posts)

Hi, I am new to buying large items on ebay, but now need new windows, which I would like to collect slowly over the months when I see something suitable. However, it is not practical for me to drive all over the UK to collect suitable frames. Do people use a courier to collect in cases like this, and how would I arrange this?

FishWithABicycle Fri 29-May-15 06:25:49

No seller in their right minds will allow a buyer to arrange a courier for an item listed for pick-up-in-person only.

a) If the item was listed for collection only and the buyer then doesn't collect in person they are being unfair to the seller who could have got a higher auction price if delivery options were available.

b) if the buyer arranges the courier then the buyer is the customer and the seller gets no proof of delivery and is then vulnerable to fraudulent refund claims.

c) buyers don't have the leisure to wait in all day for a courier to come and collect

If you bid on collection only items and then try to arrange a courier pickup, and seller with a brain will cancel the sale. Bid on items you are able to collect or which are listed with delivery options arranged by the seller available.

FishWithABicycle Fri 29-May-15 06:26:46

Sorry brain error (c) should have started 'sellers' not 'buyers'

Stubbed Fri 29-May-15 06:38:24

As a seller, I always ask for no couriers. I ask for cash on collection as generally it's safer but you don't get as high prices. Couriers can't give cash on collection, right?

Hmm, thought it might not work ...

SoupDragon Fri 29-May-15 07:01:13

The answer is to ask the seller beforehand. Some might if they just want the item gone.

lljkk Fri 29-May-15 07:40:20

Plenty of sellers will allow buyer to arrange own courier, esp. if that's only way to get a sale, you have to ask before you bid, see what they say. As a seller I will allow it if I feel like I have established a relationship with the buyer and it's something I know just won't sell otherwise.

twistletonsmythe Fri 29-May-15 17:09:53

no the seller shouldn't do it as they lose all seller protection this way. Leaving themselves wide open to be scammed.

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 06-Jun-15 19:04:10

I've done this as a buyer. It can work.

Asked seller beforehand if courier would be acceptable
When I won the item, liaised with seller about acceptable times/dates
It could only be on a Saturday for them, & I found an Anyvan driver who could do it
Paid seller by BACS
Driver collected item on the Sat & delivered to me on the Sunday
Everybody happy smile

TheOneWiththeNicestSmile Sat 06-Jun-15 19:06:01

(we all had each other's mobile numbers in case of crises)

poocatcherchampion Sat 06-Jun-15 19:07:22

I'd let you. And was going to let someone the other day but then I discovered collect plus.

VeganCow Mon 15-Jun-15 14:28:33

I bought a computer chair that was 300 miles away and collection only. The chair was worth £200 and was a bargain as nearly new.
Seller was lovely and gave me the go ahead to arrange my own courier. I went on a courier/van driver website, think it was anyvan, and got a quote for £20, sorted it with driver and just gave the time and date to seller, who had been really good and wrapped the chair well for the driver.

All went very smoothly and I got a complete bargain and was happy with the whole process.

twistletonsmythe Mon 15-Jun-15 14:34:07

but the seller had no tracking to prove delivery and no comeback if item was damaged. An unscrupulous buyer could file not received, or could claim from the seller for the damaged item and also claim from the courier too so be quids in. Seller would lose out either way so it is never recommended.

benstevens1234 Thu 12-May-16 15:13:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now