This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How long should I give buyer to pay/collect?

(10 Posts)
Debs334 Fri 15-Aug-14 15:49:21

Item was only won 24 hrs ago (so not long at all!) but no contact/payment from buyer. Item is very large and in the way (wardrobe) and I want rid of it asap! How long is reasonable to wait before I contact 2nd highest bidder?

butterflybuttons Fri 15-Aug-14 17:36:42

well you mustn't take paypal first of all - it has to be cash on collection only. No exceptions.

Have you sent buyer your address so they can arrange collection?

You can't open an unpaid case for 2 days but that may prompt a paypal payment - and then it is another 4 days until you can close the case, get your fees back and only then can you offer to the under bidder.

Debs334 Fri 15-Aug-14 18:03:57

No I haven't sent address yet. Didn't want to do that until they have confirmed they are buying.

Why do I not want to take paypal?

So after two days I can open a no payment case - can I then refuse paypal?

Can't remember whether I specified cash or paypal!

butterflybuttons Fri 15-Aug-14 18:05:02

Because they can claim not received and get a full refund as you have no proof of delivery.

I would send a cancellation request instead rather than an unpaid case tbh - but it has only been 24 hours. You could phone them?

Debs334 Fri 15-Aug-14 19:39:08

Ok, phoned them and left a message and my number asking them to get in touch before tomorrow evening. Hopefully they will, otherwise I'll move on with cancellation. Thanks!

Debs334 Sun 17-Aug-14 08:53:37

I need more advice! They have emailed me twice saying they have tried to get in contact (they haven't) and I have emailed them twice with my phone number, still no reply. I have said cash not paypal as per your advice. What now? Can I ditch them and go to next offer or am I stuck as they have made contact (even if their contact has mounted to nothing)?

butterflybuttons Sun 17-Aug-14 09:25:19

you can send them a cancellation request - and ask them to accept it. But if they refuse it you won't get your fees back. If they ignore it you need to wait a week for it to close, so no you can't relist or do a 2nd chance offer until that is done.

How much was the item?

Debs334 Sun 17-Aug-14 09:31:18

Just over £100 (furniture)

butterflybuttons Sun 17-Aug-14 09:32:12

I would send them a cancellation request now - otherwise you will be stuck with £10 fees to pay.

Debs334 Sun 17-Aug-14 09:59:41

Right, request sent. Thanks very much for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now