This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer not happy with bag...too big!

(24 Posts)
Thudercatsrule Thu 14-Aug-14 13:41:05

Hello all,

I sold a bag with an accurate listing, including measurements, buyer has said it's bigger than she thought and wants to return it.

I don't need to refund do I? And the ebay money back guarantee doesn't cover it does it?

Thanks

butterflybuttons Thu 14-Aug-14 14:23:36

well if they open a case the chances are ebay will find in their favour - so you are best telling her to return for a refund. If you refuse and she wins a case it is a defect on your account and probably a neg and low stars too.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 15-Aug-14 01:15:59

it's so unfair though! Bag was listed with measurements… why should she be refunded for not reading the listing properly?
I had this one , selling some vintage dolls shoes. Clear photos and measurements. buyer was angry as 'smaller than she'd wanted'

SistersOfPercy Fri 15-Aug-14 17:37:51

Technically if she opens a case then shes going to get to return it. I'd guess she'll open a not as described, even though it was eBay tend to ignore these trivialities.

Personally if this were me...

"dear buyer, sorry you feel the bag is too large for you, however exact measurements were given on the listing.
Please feel free to use my original photographs and relist the bag yourself.
Best wishes
Thunder"

If she doesn't know her way around a dispute it might work. If she does then sadly you are going to end up refunding, though make sure to ask her to open a case (if she's a serial complainer this weeds them out) and don't refund anything until the bag is back with you.

butterflybuttons Fri 15-Aug-14 18:03:46

best not to encourage her to open a case as it will count against you.

SistersOfPercy Fri 15-Aug-14 18:09:24

Not at all butterfly, rogue buyers are weeded out by the cases they open and most know it.
Telling them to open a case could well make them drop the whole thing, especially if they have opened a lot of cases recently. Defects count against buyers as well now, too many and they are gone.

Always best to make a buyer open a case.

HolgerDanske Fri 15-Aug-14 18:12:03

Was it an auction or buy it now? The latter would have to be refunded.

SistersOfPercy Fri 15-Aug-14 19:26:03

Holger, totally untrue. The same rules apply for both buy it now and general auctions.

angeltulips Sat 16-Aug-14 11:33:09

Of course don't refund it! Let her open a case. eBay may refund her but you won't have to pay for it.

butterflybuttons Sat 16-Aug-14 11:56:37

not true - if ebay order a refund the seller will have to give back the money - but buyer must return the item.

SistersOfPercy Sat 16-Aug-14 13:57:36

Good lord there is some misinformation on this thread!

Butterfly is, as always correct. But holger and angel you really need to be reading up on eBay and PayPal's regs because you are both going to come very unstuck sooner or later.

angel sometimes, and it is reasonably rare, eBay will credit something called a 'no fault refund' whereby buyer is given a full refund and gets to keep the item and seller keeps their sale fees. Again this is very rare and if the buyer returns the item then Thunder will have to refund it.

Thudercatsrule Sat 16-Aug-14 16:56:17

Thanks for all the comments, the buyer has opened a case through a Paypal, she's saying it's 2inches bigger, which it's not. Do you think paypal will return her money?

butterflybuttons Sat 16-Aug-14 17:03:57

yes they will - as long as she gives tracking to prove a return, or an attempted return,

SistersOfPercy Sat 16-Aug-14 17:06:40

thunder I think ultimately you'll have to refund, but, if you feel like fighting you could call eBay and explain sizes were on the listing.
TBH I very much doubt you'll get anywhere but it might be worth a call.

HolgerDanske Sat 16-Aug-14 17:22:56

Meh, I've just always assumed that buy it now purchases come under the Consumer Contracts Regulations, and my experience with ebay sellers so far has borne that out. I'm not sure how I'm going to come unstuck as a result of that, really. But if that's misinformation then I'm perfectly happy to better informed. And I'm sure ebay will deal with the specifics of this case however their policy dictates regardless of what a load of strangers on mumsnet happen to say to the OP.

jas1978 Sat 16-Aug-14 17:28:38

I think if you listed it correctly it is the buyers fault. I think Ebay is hassle now. It used to be great. i really have fallen out with it!

HolgerDanske Sat 16-Aug-14 17:34:09

Also to the OP, maybe selling on your local Facebook swap, sell and buy site might suit you better? That's what I do now and it cuts out all the postage and hassle plus people can have a look first.

SistersOfPercy Sat 16-Aug-14 17:35:50

holger for a private seller it's all the same, regardless of BIN or Auction. For a business seller you do have a few more rights but again, those are identical for an auction or a BIN.
Ultimately the buyer will always hold all the cards.

The thing is a great many of the 'strangers on mumsnet' have been eBay sellers for years and know the system in and out. They know the best ways to deal with problems. When people come along and post things that really aren't correct without checking them it can make a huge difference to the person asking the question.

I guess it boils down to 'check facts before posting'.

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 16-Aug-14 17:37:44

I've started doing FB sell/buy pages and sold not one single thing. And I have really decent, new with tags, good brand stuff at good prices. I think it's that no one wants to travel to me for collection (out of town; rural). It is annoying seeing others tatty, worn stuff being quickly snapped up for rubbish prices. So it's back to FB for me until I 've got Etsy shop sorted also

HolgerDanske Sat 16-Aug-14 17:38:15

Yeah I can see that. I do hope everything will work out for the OP and it's true I should have checked!

HolgerDanske Sat 16-Aug-14 17:40:41

Ah yes alltoomuch didn't think about that - I live right in town so it's easy to get to. Hmmm I think my advice is not the best today...

alltoomuchrightnow Sat 16-Aug-14 17:43:14

what i've observed is that people who live in or by the nearest town , do well, as people come to their home or they agree to meet them in town. I live somewhere so out in the sticks the road doesn't even have a name! Although people DO know where it is, i think they just can't be bothered to drive out here. I've offered to deliver free to hamlets/ villages nearby but not to the town 6 miles away

SistersOfPercy Sat 16-Aug-14 17:47:13

Ultimately OP will have to refund because eBay always favours buyers. Anyone opening a not as described case will always be told to return the item to the seller. Unfortunately eBay don't look into these cases further and judge them on their individual merits, they just ask for the return.

Buyer should return item tracked and enter the tracking number into the dispute section. When the tracking shows delivered the buyer will get their refund.

Sometimes eBay cock up and refund before an item is returned, in these cases you need to call them and have a moan. Always better to call eBay than use livechat.

Sometimes ebay issue a 'no fault refund' where basically they refund the buyer, the seller keeps the sale money and the buyer keeps the bag. It's rare, but it does happen.

angeltulips Sun 17-Aug-14 18:51:40

Sistersofpercy - I've been given 2 no fault refunds in the last 3 months, once because the buyer was complaining about a bleach stain on a pair of jeans that hadn't been worn, and once for a very similar reason to the OP. So I wouldn't necessarily assume they're as rare as you say they are.

I never, ever refund if the buyer is trying it on. Fuck em. And I have 100% feedback so it hasn't hurt me yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now