This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bit peed off with seller's courier service.

(44 Posts)
Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 17:09:54

I bought a large item, the postage was parcelforce 48 and cost me £35..... I turns out that the seller has sent it using Hermes (Which costs at most £13, for what the item is). We're now on day 3, I waited in ALL day today (with a 5yr old & 9 month old) as the tracking said that the item is with courier for delivery, it's now past 5 and it's still not arrived, which means that it now won't be here until Monday and I'll have to wait in again.

What do I do regarding seller?

TheReluctantCountess Sat 19-Jul-14 17:15:44

Have you sent a message to the seller?

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 17:19:59

No, not yet. Just tracking it on myhermes..... figured there's not much she can do with speeding up delivery, but wondering whether I'd be petty to try an arrange a partial postage refund? Where does ebay policy stand on this?

nigerdelta Sat 19-Jul-14 17:34:46

I didn't think anyone but Royal Mail delivered on Saturdays.

Ebay policy is:
you paid for service X & you got service Y so they have broken terms of the contract & you are on good grounds to demand a form of compensation. however (?I think) there isn't a formal channel that Ebay provides (a box for you to tick) about changing the delivery service. So while Ebay will be sympathetic they probably won't force a refund because they don't have a very defined procedure.

You can of course trash their feedback if seller refuses to compensate you in some way, especially since you have been inconvenienced.

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 17:42:35

I checked on the hermes website and it says that their couriers work 8-8 on weekdays and 8-5 on saturdays, they don't work sundays. It says it's with the courier, so I figured it'd be here today! sad

I'll wait for it to arrive, and message the seller about it.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 19-Jul-14 17:51:35

I had trouble with Myhermes. The website didn't really reflect what was happening with the parcel.

Maybe ring them and give your mobile number to the courier?

tiredandsadmum Sat 19-Jul-14 17:55:48

I sometimes send by a different courier if it is easier for me and is not more than the original, but I would certainly keep to the same timeframe. I have not sent anything with such a large possible price discrepancy. You sound certain of your facts but I would be polite asking the question to the seller.

I am surprised it has not been delivered if it states item with courier for delivery, but Saturdays can be different.

I would email the seller and ask about the delivery schedule (ie did it include saturdays), change of courier and the possible price difference.

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 18:15:05

Thanks, I'll wait until Monday now, if it doesn't come then then I'll give them a ring.

Just a bit annoyed as we live in a difficult access area and the only 2 courier services who are helpful are parcel force and dpd.... The parcel force guy even has my address and number in his phone, it's one of the reasons I bought the item off her Grr!

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 18:17:51

I will be polite. It's a pram that I have bought, I sold one last week and sent it via hermes as they were charging £10, rather than the £28 from PF. The pram I have bought is of similar weight/size so I'm sure that it wouldn't have cost £35 to send, esp with Hermes!

ohtobemeagain Sat 19-Jul-14 18:37:25

I think MyHermes are now doing Sunday deliveries. We've definitely had deliveries on Saturday but then our MyHermes driver is local to us.

mindyourown1 Sat 19-Jul-14 18:40:07

I think you should ask them to refund the difference - a £20 odd profit on postage is not allowed and is pure greed. Postage is just that, not fees, profit, petrol or time or anything else they may wish to claim. If they do disagree you can refuse the delivery and get a full refund and then buy elsewhere - that is what I would do tbh.

glammanana Sat 19-Jul-14 18:49:24

According to an e-mail I got from myhermes they are doing deliveries 7 days a week but I think it may just be in certain area's ? our local guy will deliver up to 8pm when he has a busy load on so you may just be lucky.
I would certainly take the seller up on the delivery costs though as it sounds far too high,go onto hermes site and cost it yourself and then inform the seller you want a refund.

BikeRunSki Sat 19-Jul-14 18:52:55

I have had weekend and BH deliveries from Hermes.

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 18:57:49

Oh goodness, does that mean I have to wait in all day tomorrow too, then Monday if it doesn't show?

I've already costed it up, give or take £3 if I have to sign.

I might email her now and let her know I haven't recieved it yet despite her listing saying 48 hour service. The only reason I know it's hermes is because she sent me a tracking number.

mindyourown1 Sat 19-Jul-14 19:49:46

no - Sunday seems to be for next day only

postandparcel.info/59954/news/hermes-launches-sunday-delivery/

give or take £3 what?

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 19:59:05

mindy.... I paid £35 postage as thought seller was sending via parcelforce 48, so this cost doesn't seem too excessive. But it turns seller has sent via Hermes 3-5 day, which only costs £10, or £13 depending on whether I have to sign for the item..... So I have costed the difference (as a pp has asked) So I'm owed atleast £17 from seller, plus extra £3 if signed for.

I have emailed the seller, just explaining that I haven't recieved my parcel yet, despite the listing stating 48 hour courier (parcelforce), and that I have waited in for the past 2 days for it. I asked if the Hermes delivery was a 48 hour service as I'd need t give Hermes a call to find out where it is.

Lepaskilf Sat 19-Jul-14 20:00:41

meant minus, not plus.

nauticant Sun 20-Jul-14 08:31:11

I think you should ask them to refund the difference - a £20 odd profit on postage is not allowed and is pure greed. Postage is just that, not fees, profit, petrol or time or anything else they may wish to claim. If they do disagree you can refuse the delivery and get a full refund and then buy elsewhere - that is what I would do tbh.

This is good advice. But of course it depends on if you can do without the item.

Lepaskilf Sun 20-Jul-14 09:34:09

yes I can do without the item.... she hasnt replied back to my message yet so will ask for refund now x

mindyourown1 Sun 20-Jul-14 09:54:20

you will be able to log into paypal and from there file a claim for not received now, and then escalate it - and when the delivery turns up refuse it and sign nothing.

nauticant Sun 20-Jul-14 10:57:59

I'd do as mindyourown1 suggests. It will send a clear message to the seller to think carefully about doing this again.

tiredandsadmum Sun 20-Jul-14 11:13:41

I have also found ebay to be quite good about dealing with breaches of their policies (funnily enough). So it would be worth contacting them once the dust has settled, if not before. I had a seller be mindlessly aggressive last year towards me and I had a live chat with them about it. The seller's record is now marked.

Numanoid Sun 20-Jul-14 14:31:52

Hermes aren't customer-facing so I don't know if/how your seller could reach them. I deal with them but as a business customer (not to do with eBay). But that's Hermes, not myHermes, so not entirely sure.

They do deliver on Saturdays, some will deliver on Sundays but as they're self-employed it totally depends on the individual courier. Although delivery slots aren't given they can be asked to deliver at a specific time. I would try giving as big a window as possible though, e.g. Monday, between 10 and 1. Again, it does depend on the individual courier.

If you don't want the item, make sure you refuse it and it will be returned to sender. That way you'll get your postage back and not have to pay return costs.

Lepaskilf Sun 20-Jul-14 14:42:51

Numanoid, it is a pain that the delivery is taking longer than expected, but that's due to the seller sending with a different courier on a different service that what she stated in her listing, that's the bit that annoys me most. That and the fact that I've effectively paid for a premium service, but been given an economy service.

I haven't heard from the seller yet so I've sent her another polite message explaining that I have worked out the difference in cost between the two couriers and that I would like a £22 refund.... £35 (what I paid) - £13 (What she paid) = £22.

I will go on t the paypal website now and have a look, thank you x

MrsDeanAmbrose Sun 20-Jul-14 21:05:31

It's incredibly annoying when a seller sends by a different courier to the one specified.

I'd assume you're going to leave appropriate stars and feedback (but obviously don't mention to the seller what feedback you're going to leave, don't want to be accused of feedback extortion).

Have you actually opened a case in Ebay yet? (I think now it does it automatically when you message the seller unless you choose other)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now