The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Buyer wants me to change postage price?

(15 Posts)
howiwonder Sun 25-May-14 19:57:07

Just sold some toddler clarks shoes for the grand sum of 99p, charged £4.00 postage (for standard 2nd class).
The winning bidder has not yet paid and sent me a message asking me to send them without a box (hadn't actually decided if I was going to send in a box anyway) for £2.80 postage, 2nd class.
Surely you can't buy something at an advertised postage and then ask for the postage to be changed? I'm also not sure £2.80 would cover it, even without a box, shoes are heavy, even if they're only little ones.
What should I do - don't want a falling out and poss negative feedback but I do think its a bit cheeky.

DillyBob14 Sun 25-May-14 20:15:53

you can send my hermes for £2.98 tracked - that is what I would do if I were you. But no, they can't ask for discount on p&p after the auction has ended. £2.80 2nd class will have no proof of delivery either would it.

And whatever you do they may still neg anyway. Even if they agree to cancel the transaction.

The only way to avoid a neg is to open and close a non paying dispute without them paying.

HolidayCriminal Sun 25-May-14 21:38:48

It is cheeky but Customer is King on Ebay. Don't even argue about it.
I would comply with their request & add to my BBL ASAP.
You can pm me their name, too, so I can also add to my BBL.

Rainicorn Sun 25-May-14 21:40:57

Are you sending them recorded? I would.

Petrasmumma Sun 25-May-14 21:45:46

Stand firm: they knew the postage price you asked for when they bid.

I don't mind paying for wrapping and the fact that Ebay take a slice of the postage fee you charge....£4 is reasonable.

Ask them to pay as per contract (which this is) or lodge NPB against them.

isitsnowingyet Sun 25-May-14 21:46:06

Cheeky sod. Stick to your guns and send it recorded.

nauticant Sun 25-May-14 21:50:55

My preference is to send items by the postal service I state in my listing. (This sounds odd but some buyers can fault this.) If I recall correctly the cheapest signed-for using Royal Mail is £3.90.

Of course, if you've got an arsey buyer they can damage your feedback but that's ebay.

howiwonder Sun 25-May-14 22:05:43

Argghhh I've chickened out and have agreed to it. I overestimated postage by the looks of it anyway. I find it very cheeky but will put it down to experience, thanks for advice. Bloody things weren't even worth selling, had heard there was a bit of a market for selling 2nd hand clarks kids shoes, but out of 4 pairs, only these sold, 99p and an annoying buyer.
What's BBL holiday? Despite being a prolific buyer, I'm not a big eBay seller.

LegoClone Sun 25-May-14 22:14:17

Ebay take 10% of the P&P, so if you charged them £2.80 you won't actually receive enough money to pay for postage! Plus there are PayPal fees for the transaction that also will take a small percentage too.

Additionally even if you have old packaging materials you can use you will need tape to wrap the parcel and possibly fuel costs to get to the post office.

The minimum I charge for second class delivery of a small parcel that weighs less than 1kg is £3.50.

For your total transaction of £4.99 ebay will take 49p and PayPal will take 37p. The majority of the fees are due to the P&P costs!

howiwonder Sun 25-May-14 22:16:52

Oh shit hmm I feel a bit of an idiot now. Damn, I will be wiser next time....

iggy0155 Sun 25-May-14 22:17:30

BBL - Blocked Buyer List

howiwonder Sun 25-May-14 22:18:21

Ah, thanks iggy

LegoClone Sun 25-May-14 22:21:30

Sorry - I was too slow typing on my phone. sad

Your buyer is taking the piss but they may not realise how much of the P&P charges are taken in fees. Out of the total £3.79 they're paying you you will pay ebay 37p, paypal 33p and royal mail £2.80. Leaving you with 29p from the sale.

LegoClone Sun 25-May-14 22:22:55

Sorry x posts - not trying to rub it in! Ebay is a learning experience!

howiwonder Sun 25-May-14 22:31:22

Thanks Lego, will be doing more selling over next few weeks so things can only get better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now