This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling an ipad on eBay

(8 Posts)
DickCrack Tue 01-Apr-14 20:43:42

I have an ipad air, a gift given in January by my now ex partner. I can't bring myself to use it, in fact it's use age has been do limited its only been charged twice. So it's a1 condition.
I'd like to sell it but I'm scared about eBay scams with iPads. Is there a significant risk and if so, what can I do to reduce it?

LavenderGreen14 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:49:48

only sell within the UK (you need to adjust your settings for this), ensure you send it special delivery or courier with adequate insurance, if someone collects cash only. You may find local Facebook groups better - plus no fees.

jendot Tue 01-Apr-14 23:34:58

Keep the serial number!
ONLY send by special delivery.
Do not ever let any one pay by PayPal and collect. If collecting they must pay cash.
Only sell in the Uk

LavenderGreen14 Wed 02-Apr-14 00:01:16

buy it now with immediate payment is good too.

Ronmione Sat 05-Apr-14 07:47:46

Have you been down to Cex or game and ask how much they would give you? It might be less hassel

PerhapsNot Sun 06-Apr-14 14:55:33

Before you sell make sure you do a full factory reset. Info below, copy and pasted from Apple

If you still have your iOS device

Before you sell or give away your iOS device, make sure that you've removed all of your personal information. Follow these steps to protect your data and get your device to its factory default state for the new owner:

Back up your device.
Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Erase All Content and Settings.
This will completely erase your device and turn off iCloud, iMessage, FaceTime, Game Center, and other services.
If you're using iOS 7 and have Find My iPhone turned on, your Apple ID and password will be required. After you provide your password, the device will be erased and removed from your account so that the next owner can activate it.
Contact your carrier for guidance on transferring service to the new owner.
When the device is turned on for the first time by the new owner, Setup Assistant will guide them through the setup process.

Important: Do not manually delete contacts, calendars, reminders, documents, photo streams, or any other iCloud data while signed in to your iCloud account, or the content will also be deleted from the iCloud servers and all of your iCloud devices.

DickCrack Sun 06-Apr-14 23:29:16

Oh thank you everyone for the advice, especially the bit about iCloud deletion, don't want to wipe my phone too.
I still haven't listed it. I'm a bit scared.

Nanny0gg Tue 08-Apr-14 19:22:46

Definitely look on CeX.

We got good prices for old laptops on there, and a DVD player.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now