This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay madness!

(26 Posts)
noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:09:03

Someone has a top for sale 99p start price its a tiny bit of chiffon but postage is £6.50 The seller lives a few streets from me and won't let me collect as she says she makes her money on the postage as most things sell at starting price.

Bornin1984 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:11:02

I thought you weren't allowed to make profit on postage?

I would report her for being a miserable arse !

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Thu 27-Mar-14 14:12:07

Offer to pay the postage, minus the actual postage and go and collect it!

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:13:02

SO daft It is the sort of thing I have posted for about £1.20 literally a really light thing. I didn't know that you weren't allowed to make £ on postage. She says its not worth doing if she doesn't get the postage she might as well give to charity shop grin I only want it as I had same before and it got lost when we moved!

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:13:17

No she won't let me collect it!

Bornin1984 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:14:52

Ask for your thread to move to "eBay" loads of good advice on there! That's where I learned ure not allowed to make profit on postage

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:17:01

Thanks didn't know there was one! How do I get it moved?

Bornin1984 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:18:57

Report your thread to hq asking them to move it :-)

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:20:01

Have done that! Thanks. Its weird as she had the top for sale and it didn't sell and I asked to collect and she said no and now it is relisted and a few hours to go no bids

Bornin1984 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:20:56

Sounds more hassle than it's worth .... Bit I'm feeling vindictive today I would report her

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Thu 27-Mar-14 14:21:36

Typical grabby seller.

It's a shame they exist because they make it so difficult for honest sellers.

This is quite unscrupulous but you could buy the item then report it as not described saying the postage was much lower and ask for a partial refund.

I don't know if that would work though.

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 14:24:56

She actually sent me a message though saying that she charges 6.50 - 8.00 for everything as otherwise not worth the effort shock PMSL at feeling vindictive today

expatinscotland Thu 27-Mar-14 14:28:29

Report her arse! She is violating the rules of Ebay.

specialsubject Thu 27-Mar-14 14:35:28

impressive that she can make money on postage.

just don't buy it!!

Germgirl Thu 27-Mar-14 14:39:56

Report her! I'm not usually the reporting type but she's taking the piss. I had a woman report me for excessive postage when I'd charged her 19p more than it actually cost. She haughtily informed me that you're not allowed to charge for the fuel it costs to take the item to the post office & that I was using expensive postage bags & I should have used cheaper ones. Silly tart.
Ebay didn't contact me after she reported me.
This woman is blatantly taking the piss though. You're definitely not meant to make a profit on p&p.

MichaelFinnigan Thu 27-Mar-14 14:51:54

Aren't you suspicious that your top went 'missing' and now someone a few streets away has just the same one?

She might not want you to collect it in case you notice when she opens the door that she is dressed head to toe in your 'mislaid' clothing

Now that'd be weird

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 15:08:48

No its not the same one The other one my NEIGHBOUR was wearing not a few streets away one door!

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 15:10:42

Oh sorry M I see what you mean I thought you were referring to my last run in with ebay Delivered top to next door she denied it but still wore it out!

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Mar-14 15:15:25

Hullo, we'll move this to the ebay topic for you OP!

nickstmoritz Thu 27-Mar-14 15:32:07

Welcome to the ebay chat Noddy smile

The seller should not charge excessive P&P (£6.50 - ridiculous) she should start her item at the price she is happy to sell for and add normal P&P - for a very light small item, no more than £2 and that is being generous I would charge £1.50 max if it was not a top worth over £20.

The seller will be charged 10% fvf on item inc postage anyway. Plus is very likely to be banned from ebay shortly as she will be getting very low stars for P&P (and comms!) if she keeps this up. DSRs now really count and low P&P stars will soon be considered a "defect" (the new ebay term du jour!) She probably only needs 3 or 4 low stars (1,2 3 stars) to be considered a below standard seller.

Either forget it & look elsewhere, buy and mark low for P&P and Comms. or offer her £5 and ask to collect. She probably just doesn't want to sell for 99p but that is easily sorted by NOT listing for 99p!!

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 15:41:55

Thanks! Very helpful. I just wanted to bid as normal for it and collect as she lives so close. She said no! I would be happy to pay £5 but not 6.50 on top as it is literally no heavier than a silk scarf!

Nanny0gg Thu 27-Mar-14 16:46:02

She's being very cheeky regarding the postage so I think it's right to report her.

However - I know it's frustrating when they live near, but some people really don't want strangers coming to their house - hence why they use Ebay!
So I might forgive her for that.

balenciaga Thu 27-Mar-14 16:52:54

Omg how cheeky

You're not meant to make a profit on postage Ffs

Tryharder Thu 27-Mar-14 17:37:59

Hmm. I see her point as it is literally not worth her while selling for 99p.

As others have said: she should start the bidding price for the minimum amount she would be prepared to sell the top for and then charge actual P&P costs. She's just trying to save the listing fees which would have been no more than 25p. Seems a lot of palaver for 25p particularly when considering the buyers are put off by silly postage charges.

If you want the top and it's worth £7 or so, just pay it and then mark her down for P&P charges.

noddyholder Thu 27-Mar-14 17:51:23

I have decided not to buy it! Too cheeky not sure why she doesn't just put it at a higher price plus she says delivery or collect but then says no when you suggest it. I suppose she fears only getting 99p hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now