This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer wants me to wrap and courier 'collection only' item....!

(17 Posts)
MyRealNamesBernard Tue 25-Mar-14 11:31:41

Hello there, I need some advice please. I recently put up for auction a double buggy - it's a huge one with two toddler seats and baby seats - so there are lots of parts to it. As it's a whopper of an item I listed it as collection only.

So, the winning bidder, it turns out, is based about 200 miles from my home. And, sure enough, they replied two days after I sent the invoice telling me they cannot pick up the item in person and are instead sending a courier. They asked me if I could bubble wrap the item and then put it in a package for the courier. They offered to pay the cost of the wrapping.

The problem is, I sold it as 'collection only' because I did not want to go wrapping a huge item. And I am also concerned that if the item does get damaged in transit, or does not turn up, I have no comeback.

The whole thing just does not feel right to me.

I am being totally unreasonable? If not, what should I do?

BitOutOfPractice Tue 25-Mar-14 11:32:57

Just say no. Cheeky bugger (them not you)

Email back and say "No. I clearly stated it was collection only."

LumionaMoonsplash Tue 25-Mar-14 11:36:41

Agree, just say no.

justmuddlingalong Tue 25-Mar-14 11:37:40

I would tell them that they don't have to pay for the bubble wrap as you will be neither wrapping or sending the item. Wasn't there a scam involving collection only being collected by courier recently?

MyRealNamesBernard Tue 25-Mar-14 11:46:45

Hello all! Thank you for your fast replies! Very helpful.

After I tell the buyer "no", what do I do? Do I withdraw the item somehow? And is it likely the buyer will give me bad feedback?

BitOutOfPractice Tue 25-Mar-14 11:54:30

They will probably say they don't want it then. And you'll have to relist.

But since they then won't be your buyer, they can't leave you feedback (I think!)

Oh this ebay stuff is so annoying isn't it?

LavenderGreen14 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:17:34

No - cash on collection only btw. Never, ever let a buyer arrange their own courier either.

send them a cancellation request, then you can either relist or do a second chance offer.

They can still leave feedback after a cancellation.

MyRealNamesBernard Tue 25-Mar-14 12:23:07

Thank you! You've all been really helpful. I am quite new to this eBay game and this has put me off listing stuff in future. Although, I guess next time I should specifically state "no couriers" etc. You learn as you go along.....

slithytove Tue 25-Mar-14 12:25:20

Ask ebay. How are they proposing to pay? The only thing I can suggest is that you arrange the courier yourself (I know some good cheap ones) and charge the buyer a lot extra and get a different form of payment. However you never wanted this hassle to begin with which is fair enough.

You should be able to relist or do a second chance offer to the next highest bidder

LavenderGreen14 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:31:32

but you need to cancel this transaction properly first before you do anything or you will have 10% final value fees to pay.

Just say no, that the item is collection in person only with cash on collection and that if she cannot come to collect in person then she should not have bid.
I had one like this over a nice McLaren buggy a few years ago. She bombarded me with emails that got stroppier and stroppier, when I refunded her paypal payment she then said 'oh if its cash you want then I will send cash by recorded delivery'. oh and complaining that I wouldn't wait in for a courier - cos I was working!! 'all you have to do is wrap it in a bin bag and give to courier'.
It was about the time I saw a lot of threads on mn about buggies being 'not as described' when they arrived at their destination and buyers wanting part refunds etc, so I stated in the listing local pickup ONLY very clearly.
In the end my buyer threatened to leave me bad feedback, so I reportd to her to ebay for feedback extortion, as they could see from my listing that the item was local pickup only and she was insisting on a courier.

Put in a request for a cancellation and if she refuses,or gives you bad feedback then ring up ebay customer services, tell them this person is insisting on a courier for a local pick up only item, and they will refund your fees. That's what happened with mine.

A lot of people look for 'local pick up only' items as they generally go for cheaper. Don't give in to her!

MyRealNamesBernard Tue 25-Mar-14 13:37:44

Thank you all! I have sent the buyer a message requesting collection in person only, and turning down their request for packaging/courier. I have also called eBay customer service and spoke to two different people who both told me I don't have to accept the buyer's request.

What a faff, this all is. I suspect I will be hearing more from the buyer too.... I just have that feeling that this is going to be "one of those"!

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. Not feeling the love for eBay at the mo, but at least I can rely on MN!

BitOutOfPractice Tue 25-Mar-14 13:40:32

Oh good luck OP.

Most transactions go smoothly, honest!

MarvellousMabel Tue 25-Mar-14 13:50:01

Oh this happened to me with a travel cot. Pissed me right off.

She asked if she could send a courier before bidding ended. I said no.

I should have blocked her tbh.

She won the item. Then a few days later asked me to wrap it... DH convinced me to do it just to get rid. I did.

She then asked me to call her with instructions!

I sent her a you tube link.

Dick.

LavenderGreen14 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:49:41

have you sent them a cancellation request yet?

MyRealNamesBernard Tue 25-Mar-14 17:52:11

Not yet, Lavender. I was waiting for a reply to my 'I will not wrap or courier the item' message - just to see (unlikely) whether they will come and collect in person.

Why, do you think I should send a cancellation?

LavenderGreen14 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:07:20

yes or you won't get your fees back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now