This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

would i be cheeky to ask for a postage refund?

(13 Posts)
SmileAndNod Wed 19-Mar-14 12:15:14

Won an item on Sunday, which was to be posted second class for £6. Was a pair of sandals so thought fair enough as I've been stung sending shoes before. However they've arrived this morning and the postage label was only £3 - meaning they've made a bit of a profit!

Should I just leave it, or just mark them down on postage?

Marne Wed 19-Mar-14 12:22:09

You knew the postage price when you bid, they can charge what ever they like, it also covers packaging as well as the postage. So I wouldn't ask for a refund grin.

Cringechilli Wed 19-Mar-14 12:25:12

You agreed to pay the price stated so no you can't ask for a refund. If you think the seller rips people off for postage and packaging, you can give them fewer stars for that category so that other buyers know.

MirandaWest Wed 19-Mar-14 12:25:51

You don't know what the actual price will be though when you bid. Plus up to £1 say for packaging is reasonable but not £3. I'd ask for a partial refund tbh.

I once got almost lynched on here as a seller when the item cost 75p less than the amount I'd charged and told how I was profiteering. I did make a refund to the buyer blush

SmileAndNod Wed 19-Mar-14 12:26:00

I'm obviously too kind then as if I overcharge postage by more than 20p I refund! I thought you weren't allowed to make profit on postage? Happily paid the six quid, because I thought that's what it would cost...

NurseyWursey Wed 19-Mar-14 12:27:01

You have no idea how much the packaging cost and how much it cost them to get to the post office.

MirandaWest Wed 19-Mar-14 12:30:52

If you're a private seller then you're not meant to include costs of getting to the post office etc in your postage cost. Only postage and packing.

LavenderGreen14 Wed 19-Mar-14 13:21:38

yes I would ask for a refund - you knew the price when you bid is utter rubbish - you trusted that was the cost of postage, how are you meant to know the actual weight of an item before you receive it. And no, you are not meant to make profit on postage - seller is just greedy.

90sthrowback Wed 19-Mar-14 13:24:08

It is very hard to guess how much shoes cost to post due to the weight so I would ignore the "you knew the price when you bid.."

The seller is profiting from p&p over charging - its not on

Vickiyumyum Wed 19-Mar-14 13:29:39

yes ignore all the you knew the price before hand. You may have assumed that was first class/recorded/in a box so heavy etc. The item then turns up sent the cheapest way possible and people reckon we should suck it up? No not necessarily. Its a cheek to post for half the price charged, if I had estimated postage as a seller, got o post office and found the items cost half the price to send I would refund the rest minus 50p to cover the cost of the postal/jiffy bag.

ohtobemeagain Thu 20-Mar-14 11:59:44

If she charged £6 for P&P then, thanks to Ebay's new rules, Ebay will keep 60p of that (10%)

If you paid with Paypal then they will keep 18p of that.

So assuming packaging costs about 50p, the seller will have paid in the region of £4.28 in total.

Still over priced but no where near as bad as it initially appears.

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Thu 20-Mar-14 12:19:23

I wouldn't. I just look at total cost and it's either a good deal, or it isn't.

That said when I sell I weigh everything, never overcharge and would refund in the rare cases when the cost is under what I've charged.

90sthrowback Thu 20-Mar-14 12:44:28

That is true ohtobeme, but the seller made a choice to sell on ebay knowing that there would be fees to pay. The OP chose to buy the item at the price, and assumed that the postage charge was fair and reasonable, not exploitative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now