This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

free listing weekend

(23 Posts)
nickstmoritz Sat 01-Mar-14 11:11:45

I have been missed out again and that is 2 weekends in a row. I am not happy! Ebay says the invitations are random and my account is excellent. Very frustrating. Anyone else get/not get the free listing invite?

CarmonEileen Sat 01-Mar-14 14:00:03

Hi Nick.
I seem to have had the invitation twice a week for the last few weeks now. Normally a tues/weds and a Saturday.
Odd that some do and some don't, and unfair too. Should be the same for everyone.

PurpleFrog Sat 01-Mar-14 16:49:39

I have been invited this weekend, and I was last weekend as well. Nick - I wasn't invited the last time you were. The drawback is that I am now regretting listing for 10 days last weekend - I wasn't expecting two weekends in a row. I will have to try and sort out some new stuff.

nickstmoritz Sat 01-Mar-14 23:22:43

Hopefully I will get one soon. Good luck with your listing Purple & Carmon (2 a week! that's just rubbing it in smile. I have done a few BINs lately and sold a couple so I have just done that again.

Ebay CS said they can't give it to everyone every time because there are so many on ebay so they are doing random invites. She didn't know how it was decided but said it might even be by date of birth?! My sis keeps getting them though so I feel very picked on not getting invited! I wonder if it means basically every weekend could be free but for different people. Oh well. The pile will have to wait.

PurpleFrog Mon 03-Mar-14 09:21:15

Well, I only managed to list two new items. I got bogged-down with sorting out some of the clutter in our bedroom.

If Carmon has been invited twice a week for the last few weeks, that disproves my pet theory that they have divided sellers into two groups for free-listing invitations.

CarmonEileen Mon 03-Mar-14 11:23:00

It is odd isn't it. Seems they need to either let everyone or no one have free listings, not fair at all. As it goes my stuff didn't do brilliantly but I'm glad of the space grin

PurpleFrog Mon 03-Mar-14 13:23:45

It is frustrating. I did well in January and made around £80. Due to the way my free-listing days fell, I only sold one item in February. Unfortunately, with the current batch of stuff I am listing, I am not sure enough it will sell to just put it on a paid auction or BIN. Looking at completed listings for similar items to those I am currently selling, it does appear that January was a better month than February for lots of things. Maybe I'll give things a few more weeks before I Charity shop them!

nickstmoritz Mon 03-Mar-14 16:57:47

Funny how you can re list things quite a few times and think they won't go then someone bids. Just needs the right person at the right time for them so I don't mind re listing (if it's free!!). I generally only start at 99p if I know it will probably go fairly well or I don't mind that much selling cheap. I usually list regularly but only have a few things at the moment due to being ebays "Billy no mates" and I have paid 40p per list to BIN them. The only thing with that is sometimes I have watchers who wait the whole 30 days then buy so it is quite a long process not like a week's auction.

Purple, Get lots of items ready by preparing the whole listing then pressing "save for Later" button. That way you can just go live with them when it's free or a good time for an auction to end.

BTW if anyone's kids were into Harry Potter, the Dobby House Elf toys are going for £40 on ebay now smile

Going abit off thread sorry. Maybe we should have a new one for strange things that do well on ebay so we can make some £ for the summer? We have booked our first hol abroad for 13 years for a friends wedding so I am keen to save up and will be ebaying plenty. Just need those bl**dy free listing days back!

PurpleFrog Tue 04-Mar-14 10:39:49

I know, I have had times where I have re-listed something 7 or 8 times, with no takers, then had a bidding war! But these were things I knew were worth re-listing. Some of the things I have on at the moment I am not so sure about!

I do use the scheduling trick to list items, then make them live at a suitable time, but I find it very difficult to prepare listings in advance when there is no impending deadline.

I currently have a pile of kids books I was going to try listing on a local Facebook selling site. I have got photos (my usual sticking point), but since there is no deadline I haven't got round to it yet. Sigh!

PurpleFrog Sat 08-Mar-14 09:12:55

I have another invitation for this weekend - 200 items auction AND fixed price! I have plenty of relists to do, but will have to think whether to group some things for BIN. I guess free listing weekends are like buses at the moment - none for ages then 3 come along at once!

nickstmoritz Sat 08-Mar-14 09:44:57

yay! got it too this time and I am going to use it!! Wonder if it is possible to get up to the full 200!! Purplefrog get busy!

PurpleFrog Sat 08-Mar-14 17:54:09

I was out earlier, but I have now scheduled some stuff for 30-day BINs, ready to make live later tonight. Remember, that if you are listing for 30 days that the Royal Mail postal charges go up on 31st March!

nickstmoritz Sat 08-Mar-14 18:08:15

sad how much by? is everything going up?

Mandy2003 Sat 08-Mar-14 18:13:35

Parcels up by 20-30p I think.

I've never had an invite but always get the free listing when its on. Try and relist something unsold and see if you get charged?

PurpleFrog Sat 08-Mar-14 18:46:01

Royal Mail PDF of new prices here

nickstmoritz Sat 08-Mar-14 22:38:46

Thanks PF and Mandy I have tried but it didn't work for me. It only works when I get the invite. So this weekend I am listing like mad to get as much on as I can.

PurpleFrog Mon 10-Mar-14 11:41:27

I did lots of 30-day BIN relists, and managed to get a couple of "new" higher value items on as well. I can't decide whether I should have just listed for 10 days BIN, but figured that after 3 free listing weekends in a row it probably won't be my turn for a while! If I had more warning that BINs were included this time I could have listed more. However, I should start looking out more stuff just in case I do get another invitation soon.

nickstmoritz Mon 10-Mar-14 22:53:22

I sold 3 BINS already from this weekend & they were 30 day ones. PF If you think they are sitting there then you could wait for free listing and end them & list as auction.

I usually wait to list on Sunday but this time I did some on Sat for 10 days and some on Sunday for 7 days plus BINS after it got a bit late for auctions to end so I made the most of the free weekend. Knowing my luck that will be it for my invites again! I was really tired by the end of the weekend but hopefully it will bring in some holiday fund!

BTW the Harry Potter Dobby sold for £48 BIN - I told you guys that they are going for loads! However I have a feeling they may be going for double this on ebay.com so I have probably been too hasty with my BIN!! DD is chuffed, she is getting the proceeds.

PurpleFrog Tue 11-Mar-14 09:32:13

Yes, sometimes with 30day BINs they get a lot of views the first 4-5 days, disappear into the wilderness for a while then get more views for the last 4-5 days. It depends how people sort their listings when they browse, and how many similar items are for sale. Some of mine are on their last chance. They are listed with BIN or best offer and if no-one is interested they will definitely go to the Charity shop this time.

PurpleFrog Tue 11-Mar-14 09:56:59

Ha! Just sold another thing - that is now 2 of my 30 day BIN listings away. At this rate I will be popping to the post office every day or two! (I hope!) I had 2 auctions that finished on Sunday. I sold one of the items, and completely forgot to re-list the other. I remembered once I had gone to bed, and contemplated getting up and going downstairs to do it. grin

nickstmoritz Tue 11-Mar-14 12:23:50

steady on PF smile

PurpleFrog Sat 22-Mar-14 09:13:48

I've got another invite for this weekend and it includes BINs again! grin

nickstmoritz Sat 22-Mar-14 14:59:28

Me too Hurrah! I am back in the loop!!
Good luck with listing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now