This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer requesting partial refund, advice please..

(85 Posts)
WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 09:12:28

Hi, I regularly sell on Ebay but mostly clothes and toys. DP asked me to sell for him a full set of Wade Natwest ceramic pigs. The buyer paid quickly and I packed them very securely and delivered with Myhermes. This was all completed and delivered by Tuesday this week.
This morning I've had a message from the buyer saying that one of the pigs has a break on his front that has been repaired with glue and a crack running right around the back. Neither if these were there when I posted them!
I was cautious when I wrote my listing as I knew that collectors would want to know every mark on them. I scrutinised those pigs to make sure that my listing was accurate! So, basically what the buyer says isn't true. They have asked for (at least!) a partial refund and have said they won't return them. I'm upset about the whole thing to be honest sad
I've never come across this sort of thing before..can anyone advise me please on what is the best thing to do here? Any thoughts appreciated!

sebsmummy1 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:33:23

Well done Coffee. I think it was the best decision in the circumstances xx

WheresTheCoffee Thu 20-Feb-14 17:23:32

So, I offered my buyer a partial refund (a fifth of the price she paid) and it was accepted. It's a relief really, I decided better that I get something for them, than to have them returned in bits and still have to refund!

Its a lesson learned though...that's the last time I sell china on Ebay.wine sits on hands and resists urge to write her feedback

thanks to all for your advice!

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:08:38

the option should be there, if not you may need to wait 8 days - mind you, it doesn't make any difference as they can't refund the buyer as they haven't paid by paypal. What did you say to her when you responded?

You can just ignore it if you want to really.

I've responded, yes, what do I click to escalate?

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:39:19

have you responded to the case? If not, respond and then escalate

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:38:05

you escalate it in the resolution centre

How do I escalate a case? It's currently sat in the Resolution Centre (she raised the case) waiting for her to respond.

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:33:49

so it got broken in transit, the courier opened the parcel, glued it back together and then resealed the package and delivered it to the buyer!?

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 18-Feb-14 09:57:36

To be fare the buyer may not be trying to scam you, she could well have received the item as she states. Someone could have knocked it in transit and made a hash of fixing it. I would personally give her a partial refund which would allow her to buy a replacement item.

Yes some people will try to scam you but in this case you verify it is your item and it is in a poor condition. I know it didn't leave you like this BUT it's your job to get the item there in good condition.

This is why I will sell anything on eBay, but not ceramics.

sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:17:42
sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:09:40

There was a thread on here about a seller being dragged through court for a return postage fee.

From memory the buyer demanded £15 to return goods, the seller offered £5 (the price is actually cost). It actually went through the no claims court and the buyer won would you believe. It was extraordinary.

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:08:38

you need to escalate the case Stinkingbishop - the buyer cannot get a refund from you via ebay - after all, there is no actual proof she paid.

Found it! 0845 355 3229 for anyone else who needs it.

Although they were singularly useless fyi, just parroting from the script 'it's best if you try to resolve things, to avoid a complaint...BUT SHE'S MAD!...it's best if you try to resolve things...'

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:41:02

you go to customer support at the top of ebay Stinkingbishop - have you escalated the case yet?

sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:35:04

God that sounds like the debacle of Vodafone Customer Services when I wanted to cancel my contract. I spoke to some of the rudest and politest people id ever spoken to yet none of them could fight their way out of a paper bag. They really were collectively the biggest chocolate teapot id ever dealt with. Never again I tell you.

carly where do you access the live helpline? Am being spectacularly Luddite and can't find it!

PS I think MNers should set up an eBay consultancy...

PoorOldCat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:19:14

Paypal are much more helpful btw.

Saying that when I rang ebay about the issue I got a normal person who sounded sort of English. Just the emailing them with a problem tends to go through to the Fillipines and while they are super courteous, they really don't have a clue.

PoorOldCat Tue 18-Feb-14 08:17:30

Ebay 'help' isn't really help at all. It's totally, totally random as to what they will think you want, and what they will actually do, and who they will back in any given scenario.

My latest contact with them to try and block a weirdo bidder was met with 'sorry you are having some problem with [wrong person entirely]'.

It was utter bollocks. Nearly got my actual buyer struck off. It's like using Mr Tumble as your solicitor.

sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:14:20

I think it might have gone too far now to offer a partial refund.

Can you pick up the broken pig separately somewhere enabling you to sell the 'set' again in the future?

I like the idea of ringing the eBay live helpline, didn't know such a thing existed!! Might be worth doing it just for therapy.

PoorOldCat Tue 18-Feb-14 07:54:54

I would offer a partial refund yes. Unless she is near enough for you to go and collect the items.

China, glass etc just not worth the bother of an inexperienced packer returning it.

I used to restore antique dolls and so I had a couple of minor incidents - once the eyes I had reset came loose in the post, the buyer panicked and made an almighty fuss - eventually she insisted on bringing the doll back to my house for me to repair.

She was a very bossy older lady and I think the more I tried to explain and offered to pay for her to get someone local to put them back (quite a routine job) the more she wanted her own way.

It's something in the thing about wanting to be heard, wanting 'justice' I think - the genuine scammer is somewhat rarer.

I also had a buyer who won a chair for £10, which I wouldn't let her arrange a courier to collect (as per listing - she ignored that part) and she went on and on and got more and more patronising and demanding, and I just did the resigned, calm, 'look you have 120 feedback, I have over a thousand, so I know the way it works. I'm not going to sell it to you, and I am sure you will leave me negative fb like the other poor sod you negged for the same issue a while back, but the chair is going on the bonfire once I have removed my son's lego from the back of it.'

I never did get a neg after that, or hear from her again.

carlywurly Mon 17-Feb-14 22:35:58

I feel your pain. I had this last week. Sold a lovely top which the buyer demanded to return 2 weeks later (strangely she'd messaged me before buying to ask if it could be sent in time for her holiday, once back she wanted to return it confused)

Apparently the fabric mix didn't contain enough of the fabric she wanted. Or something.

Ebay live helpline were brilliant. They also sorted me out when someone wanted a partial refund for a used white coat they overbid for which was.. Surprise.. Used.

If they threaten negative feedback at any point you can get them under the feedback extortion policy. Worth knowing as it saved me a few quid.

This kind of shit is ebay at its worst and it's definitely worse than it used to be.

WheresTheCoffee Mon 17-Feb-14 22:29:55

It's scary isn't it stinkingbishop when you think about it!
I don't know if there is a way to escalate through Ebay..maybe customer support can help?
I keep hoping mine will go away, but the messages keep coming!

My own mad lady has just sent a demand via Paypal. Which I will ignore. I guess she just guessed my Paypal identity ie my email as it's not come via eBay.

I'm not replying to her anymore on eBay - is there anyway of escalating it directly with eBay? Can't find her address. I would quite like her to go away. She knows where I live! Can't believe she's got this hellbent about a tenner!

WheresTheCoffee Mon 17-Feb-14 22:19:00

I don't think that will work sadly, there is a manufacturers defect in the paint under the glaze (which I'd listed) which shows up on her photos too so the damaged pig is the one I sent..I just sent it in one piece!

LilyBlossom14 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:04:57

which is why you need to mention your security marks, in the hope it stops her returning her own broken item and keeping your intact one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now