This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer requesting partial refund, advice please..

(85 Posts)
WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 09:12:28

Hi, I regularly sell on Ebay but mostly clothes and toys. DP asked me to sell for him a full set of Wade Natwest ceramic pigs. The buyer paid quickly and I packed them very securely and delivered with Myhermes. This was all completed and delivered by Tuesday this week.
This morning I've had a message from the buyer saying that one of the pigs has a break on his front that has been repaired with glue and a crack running right around the back. Neither if these were there when I posted them!
I was cautious when I wrote my listing as I knew that collectors would want to know every mark on them. I scrutinised those pigs to make sure that my listing was accurate! So, basically what the buyer says isn't true. They have asked for (at least!) a partial refund and have said they won't return them. I'm upset about the whole thing to be honest sad
I've never come across this sort of thing before..can anyone advise me please on what is the best thing to do here? Any thoughts appreciated!

sebsmummy1 Tue 18-Feb-14 09:17:42
LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Tue 18-Feb-14 09:57:36

To be fare the buyer may not be trying to scam you, she could well have received the item as she states. Someone could have knocked it in transit and made a hash of fixing it. I would personally give her a partial refund which would allow her to buy a replacement item.

Yes some people will try to scam you but in this case you verify it is your item and it is in a poor condition. I know it didn't leave you like this BUT it's your job to get the item there in good condition.

This is why I will sell anything on eBay, but not ceramics.

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:33:49

so it got broken in transit, the courier opened the parcel, glued it back together and then resealed the package and delivered it to the buyer!?

How do I escalate a case? It's currently sat in the Resolution Centre (she raised the case) waiting for her to respond.

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:38:05

you escalate it in the resolution centre

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:39:19

have you responded to the case? If not, respond and then escalate

I've responded, yes, what do I click to escalate?

LilyBlossom14 Tue 18-Feb-14 13:08:38

the option should be there, if not you may need to wait 8 days - mind you, it doesn't make any difference as they can't refund the buyer as they haven't paid by paypal. What did you say to her when you responded?

You can just ignore it if you want to really.

WheresTheCoffee Thu 20-Feb-14 17:23:32

So, I offered my buyer a partial refund (a fifth of the price she paid) and it was accepted. It's a relief really, I decided better that I get something for them, than to have them returned in bits and still have to refund!

Its a lesson learned though...that's the last time I sell china on Ebay.wine sits on hands and resists urge to write her feedback

thanks to all for your advice!

sebsmummy1 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:33:23

Well done Coffee. I think it was the best decision in the circumstances xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now