This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Buyer requesting partial refund, advice please..

(85 Posts)
WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 09:12:28

Hi, I regularly sell on Ebay but mostly clothes and toys. DP asked me to sell for him a full set of Wade Natwest ceramic pigs. The buyer paid quickly and I packed them very securely and delivered with Myhermes. This was all completed and delivered by Tuesday this week.
This morning I've had a message from the buyer saying that one of the pigs has a break on his front that has been repaired with glue and a crack running right around the back. Neither if these were there when I posted them!
I was cautious when I wrote my listing as I knew that collectors would want to know every mark on them. I scrutinised those pigs to make sure that my listing was accurate! So, basically what the buyer says isn't true. They have asked for (at least!) a partial refund and have said they won't return them. I'm upset about the whole thing to be honest sad
I've never come across this sort of thing before..can anyone advise me please on what is the best thing to do here? Any thoughts appreciated!

sebsmummy1 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:04:58

Unfortunately I think you're stuffed.

I think the only way you can deal with it is let it go through the resolution centre using your photos but I suspect the buyer will get a refund.

LilyBlossom14 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:17:11

well they can't have a refund of the return postage at all - only get their original payment back.

Tell them once you relieve them all back you will refund her in full but that she won't be refuded her return postage and that ebay won't make you. They will then probably send it back the cheapest way possible. i.e. not recorded. Then just say you never relieved it back an they will have no proof and therefore you won't have to refund the scammer. ebay will side with you if they don't send it recorded.

relieved = received

LilyBlossom14 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:42:58

or be honest and tell them then need to return special delivery or courier with added insurance to cover against breakages as if they are received broken then you will not be refunding a penny.

sebsmummy1 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:13:05

Oooh I like the idea of a double scam. Do that! Say that her postage is non refundable and hope she sends it big standard post. That would be hilarious.

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 21:25:24

I hesitate to say this as I don't want to sound like I am doubting you. But is it possible that he has been repaired and you just didn't notice?

I say this as a seller who often makes mistakes and has to refund part of the price afterwards...not through malice or even carelessness (I think I must write the most long winded listings known to man) but just because sometimes I don't see the wood for the trees.

It's just something I'd consider if it were me...but then you know how carefully you checked them - if you have a close up of this part of him, and can forward her the photo to show it was intact originally, then do that - and it may help your case if she raises a dispute anyway.

Hope that came across right, of course if you think she is making it up then do your utmost to defend. Good luck, horrid situation I know.

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 21:29:13

Sorry, just seen you have sent a photo. Have you heard back again? Some cheek to suggest it was broken when it arrived if you have a photo of it undamaged.

WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 22:20:45

I've not heard anything since the last message, she's seen the original photos and still claims that I didn't describe it properly.
I'm going to go through the resolution centre to try and get it sorted. I like the idea of requesting it's sent with added insurance or I don't issue a refund. My concern here is that they will be sent back in pieces and I'll still have to refund the lot!

PoorOldCat I know what you're trying to say and usually I do everything at 100miles an hour and so may miss things. Not this time though and that's why it's stings grin. The money boxes belong to DP and have been packed in a box and forgotten about stored carefully for years!

LilyBlossom14 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:23:57

Has the buyer opened a case? If not, then do nothing. There isn't a case you can open against them for this anyway.

chickydoo Sun 16-Feb-14 22:27:11

I had something similar. Buyer said tracksuit was badly stained etc.
It was pristine when I sent it, worn only once. She said she wanted a refund and I stupidly agreed. She sent back a different tracksuit.
Well it was the same make, same colour & style, but old, smelly and worn, and more to the point not mine.
eBay is just not worth it anymore, too many con artists IMHO.

WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 22:34:37

Really LilyBlossom14? I just had a look and you're right. I'll wait and see, but I think it looks very likely that the buyer will open one. I think was looking forward to taking some control!
If when they are returned broken, what happens here? Are Ebay likely to still make me issue a refund?

WheresTheCoffee Sun 16-Feb-14 22:36:20

chickdoo that's awful, I don't know how people have the nerve! What happened in the end? Were you out of pocket for a tracksuit and the sale?

LilyBlossom14 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:54:31

if the buyer gives e bay proof of delivery, or even attempted delivery, then eBay will refund them in full.

sebsmummy1 Mon 17-Feb-14 07:34:28

Wheresthecoffee, have you written this thread on the eBay community boards? If not please do so as they are very helpful and I am sure would offer you the best advice as this must be common place ever since eBay decided to change their policy to protect the buyer.

LilyBlossom14 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:04:45

if the buyer returns a different item there is nothing ebay will do - the sellers only recourse is small claims court to recoup their funds, which is unlikely for an item only costing a few pounds.

PoorOldCat Mon 17-Feb-14 08:55:02

Actually I'm wondering if my previous advice was misguided. I don't know the rules about the photo facility but they never used to accept photos as proof of anything. Now you can attach them to messages, perhaps they can use these to determine a case.

Did you/she send the pictures through ebay messages or email?

Also thinking about it you may be best to offer a small partial refund as compensation rather than getting back a load of broken figures.

See if she opens a case first. You could offer to send her a fiver so she can buy her own Maxwell.

sebsmummy1 Mon 17-Feb-14 09:38:02

Once you start offering partial refunds you are accepting the buyer is correct, no? That's my only worry.

PoorOldCat Mon 17-Feb-14 10:32:26

Ebay will force a refund if they return the item tracked, whatever the condition. In a situation where you have no real choice but to accept fault, it's perhaps better to do it in a way that allows you to retain the most money from the transaction.

iyswim

ebay and legal are on two different planets, it's ridiculous.

chickydoo Mon 17-Feb-14 11:00:13

Where The Coffee
Yes, I lost out. Had to refund for a hideous item that wasn't even mine.
Never ebay again!

Piggybacking (geddit) on this as I am getting IRATE about similar issues. Whenever I had a big clearout there are always a couple of people who try for partial refunds. One lady claimed a maternity dress was a tunic (I wore it! It wasn't!) Paid to get her to go away. Another lady, having inspected a changing table, collected it in person, given positive feedback, and had it for 3 weeks is only now saying there's a glued repair (I didn't, but it was secondhand, so maybe, but I used it for a year and never saw and nor did I when I was listing it). Am not going to rollover again, but maybe this will come back to bite me.

It's just 'normal' companies, if you're asking for a refund, EXPECT YOU TO RETURN THE ITEM. It's not a way of getting something already cheap even cheaper. What's the logic behind the partial refund idea? It seems a license for buyers to take the proverbial.

Gnarr.

LilyBlossom14 Mon 17-Feb-14 12:23:42

did the buyer who collected pay cash or paypal for the table?

WheresTheCoffee Mon 17-Feb-14 16:53:03

PoorOldCat "Ebay will force a refund if they return the item tracked, whatever the condition. In a situation where you have no real choice but to accept fault, it's perhaps better to do it in a way that allows you to retain the most money from the transaction."

^^ This is where my thoughts lie at the moment too, although I've not heard anything back yet since the last message threatening to open a case..fingers crossed that's the end of it!

lily my listing said Paypal only, she asked if she could pay cash on collection, I let it go...So not sure how refunds would work anyway!

LilyBlossom14 Mon 17-Feb-14 18:54:53

you must never ever take paypal for a collected item - so she paid cash?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now