The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Item not as described. Don't want return to cost me postage.

(8 Posts)
Clawdius Sat 16-Nov-13 14:14:39

I paid 14.00 (postage 4) for a jumper described as cashmere. It has just arrived and is 70% not cashmere. Am p**sed. The postage actually cost 2.60 on the stamp.

How do I return it and get my money back (paid in good faith for a cashmere jumper) without this person's misleading description costing me money?

SandyDilbert Sat 16-Nov-13 16:11:55

you can't - unless the seller agrees to give you extra for return postage, or you open not described case and ask ebay for no fault refund without the need for a return - that is pretty unlikely now though.

Have you messaged the seller to see what they suggest? It could be an innocent mistake and they may be reasonable.

Clawdius Sat 16-Nov-13 16:52:42

Why is a no fault refund is unlikely? It is not my fault the seller sold me a pup. If they send me the cost of postage, I would return it.

If it was 70% another material, it is certainly a beneficial mistake for the seller to make. I am sure if it was 70% cashmere and 30% viscose, they wouldn't have represented it as a viscose jumper

I don't want to send it back and be out the cost of p & p. The seller does appear to be sharp from the description, so I wouldn't really trust them to honestly refund the amount of p & p.

SandyDilbert Sat 16-Nov-13 17:06:34

because ebay pay you the money out of their own pocket, you keep the item the seller keeps your money. If you do return it you will need to send recorded to prove delivery so will cost more.

what has the seller said? - you really need to message them first!

Rooners Sat 16-Nov-13 17:12:40

Link to the description and we'll have a look.

lljkk Sat 16-Nov-13 17:18:57

Message the seller to explain your unhappiness & see what they say. Would you be satisfied with a partial refund?

I refunded somebody last night because they found a fault on something I hadn't seen and it sounded quite plausibly there. No need to return.
Not all sellers are bastards.

Clawdius Sat 16-Nov-13 18:15:27

Yes, I will message and contact ebay. No Lijkk, I'm not insinuating that. I'm sure there are good and bad on both sides of ebay transactions. This was not something down to observation. The jumper's composition is stated on the label (not shown in the pictures). It was described twice as a cashmere jumper. In this instance, not only was it mixed fibres, but the predominant material (70%) was not cashmere. I'm just annoyed and feel this particular seller (in this instance) pulled a fast one. I shall deal with it tomorrow.

Rooners Sat 16-Nov-13 19:29:31

It depends - in a LOT of shops, anything with a hint of cashmere is described as 'cashmere' when in fact the most of it is something else.

I am on the fence here. Cashmere seems to have a law unto itself in terms of marketing...

btw if you go in convinced the seller is 'out to trick you' then you will end up with a very unpleasant transaction. I am really glad I'm not the seller here! Always, always give the benefit of the doubt or you can escalate things very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now