This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

I feel a bit cross with this seller - aibu

(14 Posts)

So I bought a pair of Boden trousers for my teen. When they arrived I could see at once they would be too short - btw she is 12 and about 5ft 1 so not tall. On inspection it was obvious that they had been shortened. I measured with another pair we have and there was more than 10cm off. So I contacted the seller listing the item 'not as described' and asked them to refund me and I could either post back at their cost or take to a charity shop. I thougt I sent a v nice message tbh, acknowledging that this must be an honest mistake etc. I got a reply saying yes, had been selling for somebody else and would I post back and they would refund cost of item 'and postage'. So I packaged the damn things up very well and went to the post office and messaged the seller to say postage had been 20p less than she'd thought. I then got no further contact at all from them but simply received a refund for the original item and original postage. Obviously this left me £2.60 oyt of pocket so I sent another polite message asking when I would receive the remaining £2.60 for postage. No contact whatsoever but then a paypal refund - which of course paypal extracted a small amount from. So I think I'm still 20p down in the situation but meh, that's not an issue.
I then left positive feedback saying 'a small issue' had been quickly resolved. Since then I've heard nothing from the seller, no message, no feedback. She has relisted the trousers still describing them as 'beautiful condition' but adding 'short leg length' to the description. Tbh I don't think that's good enough. They are unwearable by a 13 yr old imo.
What if anything should I do now? I feel like I bent over backwards not to be narked by this and have got precious little of the same courtesy back.

whereisthewitch Wed 13-Nov-13 08:36:46

EBay doesn't always equal customer service or courtesy. Just try and forget about it at least you got your money back.

gamerchick Wed 13-Nov-13 08:39:30

You got your money back.. what on earth do you want to happen confused ?

SandyDilbert Wed 13-Nov-13 08:41:03

nothing you can do now - you should have left a neut or neg really - that would have warned other buyers. You could follow up to the feedback you left if you wanted.

You only lost 20p what are you moaning about??

it sounds fine to me too. although I'd have left a neutral I expect

Bakingnovice Wed 13-Nov-13 08:48:27

I think you're being a little unreasonable here. It's 20p and not her fault PayPal left you 20p short. A lot of eBay sellers would not have paid for return postage.

I have literally no idea what you are moaning about...

Hmm the lack of courteous response from the seller makes more sense now. I wouldn't expect to get return postage if I simply didn't like something but in this case the article was described as 'beautiful condition' and it wasn't. If she hadn't paid me the postage then I would have been £2.60 down whilst she got the goods back. How would that have been fair? Thanks for the feedback though. I'll treat it as a learning experience and next time I have a problem I'll leave negative feedback and refuse to return sub-standard goods, clearly being polite and helpful is pointless.

kotinka Wed 13-Nov-13 10:38:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SandyDilbert Wed 13-Nov-13 11:23:37

a good seller will refund return costs though and respond to messages - it seems the lack of comms from the seller is the issue here.

nickstmoritz Wed 13-Nov-13 12:54:40

A good seller will refund return postage if the item is not as it should be. Actually ebay does encourage sellers to do this. I had to refund a buyer postage even though there was nothing wrong with an item, they just changed their mind but insisted I pay and I did it because I knew it would be more trouble not to - you can just tell with some people!. I did block that buyer though.

You are not being unreasonable to expect courtesy and an apology would be in order here but it went pretty well all things considered. You got a refund plus return P&P without too much hassle. I would probably just not have left feedback in this case. A neg or neutral seems harsh. Although I agree it is a bit of an annoying transaction for you. It is the sort of mistake that is more easily made than some and not as bad as sending items with stains or in bad condition. Better luck next time.

lljkk Wed 13-Nov-13 18:57:22

You should have waited until you were satisfied with the transaction or satisfied that you couldn't improve it before leaving FB.

Chalk it up to experience.

nickstmoritz Wed 13-Nov-13 23:07:04

Yes, good point lljkk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now