The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

What should I do, buyer has refund now from paypal but also parcel

(10 Posts)
Saltire Fri 08-Nov-13 07:42:11

Due to circumstances outwith my control I was delayed in posting a parcel. I explained all this to the buyer - who had opened a disput - and I offered him the option of still having the parcel posted or getting a refund. he replied to post the parcel to him. I did this, but ebay/paypal refunded him anyway as he didn't close the case, he "referred it to customer services for review" and they of course, issued a refund.

So how can I word a message to him, via ebay messages of course, asking nicley if he can send the parcel back

SandyDilbert Fri 08-Nov-13 08:37:00

you could just ask him to repay the money now he has the item - there is no way you can enforce this sadly, if he doesn't want to pay or return the item ebay won't intervene now he already has his refund.

Did you send it tracked? Can you prove he got the item? If not, I think it'll be easier for you to make a claim with Royal Mail.

TheBakeryQueen Fri 08-Nov-13 09:28:24

He's more than likely done this in error.

I'd just mention in a message pointing out what has happened & see if he offers to pay to begin with.

Good luck. Hope he is decent.

Saltire Fri 08-Nov-13 09:30:15

Hi yes he has the parcel it has been signed for.

I would send a message saying:

Hello, I am glad to see that your parcel has arrived and been signed for, I apologise again about the delay. Would you prefer to pay for the item or return it?

If no reply then appeal the case, I found this:

^Can I appeal an eBay Money Back Guarantee decision?
If a case is closed in the buyer's favour, a seller will have 45 days from the day the case is closed to appeal the decision by providing the appropriate documentation through the eBay Resolution Centre. If the decision is reversed, the seller will be refunded the reimbursement amount back to the reimbursement payment method on file with eBay. Other fees will not be reimbursed. The seller cannot appeal to eBay if they have lost a chargeback or lost a case under PayPal Buyer Protection. In these cases, they must contact the relevant credit card company or PayPal, as appropriate.^

here: pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html

Was the case opened on eBay or PayPal?

nickstmoritz Fri 08-Nov-13 09:57:14

I agree with Bakery Queen. Just send polite message again apologising for the delay but asking if you may invoice for the goods now that they have arrived safely. You could then just request paypal payment using his email address.

Did you keep buyer well informed of your problems in posting the item? Unfortunately it is kind of your fault if not and you didn't send within a week. But most people would be reasonable and expect to pay if they have the goods. It is best to communicate asap if there will be any problems with posting etc I think it is not knowing that annoys people more than the delay itself. Everyone has had a time when things haven't gone to plan with ebay so I am sure your buyer will understand. Just make sure you post asap in future to get your dsr stars up.

Saltire Mon 11-Nov-13 13:30:25

Back again.
I checked the tracking info, as the buyer still says he doesn't have the goods. Anyway the tracking number is showing that the parcel "is being processed through our system for delivery", and he is refusing - quite rightly if he doesn't have parcel- to refund back to me.

I have had signed for items beofre which the postie has just stuck throguh the door and not got a signature. I hope this isn't what has happened here.

RM say I have to wait 15 days before I can claim a refund, does the buyer need to fill anything in?

SandyDilbert Mon 11-Nov-13 15:06:53

so it is either lost or they didn't get a signature. The buyer won't have to fill anything in as far as I am aware.

No, you'll just have to fill out a form and send your receipt and a printout of the value of the item.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now