This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What is going on?

(16 Posts)
Hanspannerly Thu 31-Oct-13 08:31:56

I sold a brand new sealed iPhone on ebay last week. Payment received and phone posted special delivery. The buyer received the phone.

Then I had a message saying the buyer wanted to return the phone as they had changed their mind. Annoying but said ok. I have opted into 'eBay managed returns' on my account so they buyer has to go to their purchase history and click 'return item' right? Then they post to back and I refund them?

The buyer is becoming annoyed and saying there is no option to do this. Any suggestions? They want me to cancel the transaction. They are either being sneaky or really stupid I think! Grrrrr.

Thanks

SandyDilbert Thu 31-Oct-13 08:52:26

are they returning the correct phone, check the imei number when you do get it back to ensure it is the same model.

I think you need to ask ebay why they can't select that option, you need the item back before you cancel the transaction.

lljkk Thu 31-Oct-13 09:22:55

Agree, ring Ebay CS.

Tryharder Thu 31-Oct-13 15:01:32

Sounds like they are trying it on. Why would they change their mind like that? I would expect to get a different phone back.

Handbagsonnhold Thu 31-Oct-13 15:08:41

I've had this before....someone wanted to cancel transaction but didnt want to take the strike( as I think your dash can look a bit negative if you keep cancelling transactions) they wanted me to cancel but I refused....it's them wanting to cancel.....Is the phone they are returning to you still sealed? Have u looked at all their feedback? Seems strange to change their mind....

Hanspannerly Fri 01-Nov-13 07:42:45

Thanks for replies. I explained that I couldn't cancel transaction as phone had been received and payment sent. They said they clicked on the returns option and it said to contact the seller. Which they did, asking to cancel the transaction! Argh!

Am I right in thinking they just need to return the phone now and then I can refund when I get it? I have never had this happen before. All the gazillion messages show that I have agreed to refund right? I will be very wary of changing the phone. It was sealed in box so that makes it slightly easier!

Hanspannerly Fri 01-Nov-13 07:44:00

Oh and their feedback seems fine, perhaps they are just very dense with ebay!

Patilla Fri 01-Nov-13 07:47:10

Im no expert on eBay but I would suggest that it is an issue at their end and that they therefore should be the ones to contact eBay.

Hanspannerly Fri 01-Nov-13 08:12:43

I have just spoken to a man from ebay who has told me that they now need to return the phone to me and then I can refund. I have explained that VERY CLEARLY to the seller so let's hope it works.

They are either extremely clever or very very stupid!

SandyDilbert Fri 01-Nov-13 08:27:11

their feedback won't show them as a bad buyer so ignore that

when you get it back you need to verify that it is actually your phone before you refund. Did you make a note of the imei number?

Vajazzler Fri 01-Nov-13 08:34:40

I had this a few weeks ago when i wanted to return a bra. The seller was telling me to click the return option but it just led to a page which told me to contact seller. The seller was equally confused but i returned the item and they manually refunded me.

Hanspannerly Fri 01-Nov-13 12:47:35

I do that the IMEI number so that's not a problem. This is what I'm asking the buyer to do vajazzler, they are refusing and saying that then I will have their phone and their money! I can't explain it any clearer to them. The ebay messages show what we have agreed. They are acting very oddly. I have just asked them to call ebay themselves as I cannot 'cancel the transaction' as they are demanding. That's not possible when they have bought and received the phone already!

Honestly this is taking years off my life. I just want the phone back so I can resell (cash in collection only!!!!!) we really need that money and this is recalling starting to piss me off! The phone is perfect anyway, they just changd their mind so really they should be the apologetic and helpful party here!

Thanks

Honestly some buyers...

are they seriously expecting you to just give them the money back before they send it? Cos that would be THEM having the phone and the money.

I bet someone bought it (I assume not cheap) then when it arrived their partner/parent etc kicked off and said it has to go back grin

Hanspannerly Fri 01-Nov-13 13:24:40

Yes that's probably what's happened. It was a brand new sealed iPhone 5s so expensive! We have given them an extra week to return over the 14 days stated in the listing. After that they will have to suck it up and keep the phone! I have asked any further questions be referred to ebay as I am utterly sick of them!

AwimbaweAwimbawe Fri 01-Nov-13 13:30:10

Id of just told them you are not willing to refund as their is no fault etc with the item & they can't just simply return the item as you are not a shop .
They can resell it themselves if they changed their mind & if they get arsey & threaten to open a case then let them as they won't get anywhere with it

SandyDilbert Fri 01-Nov-13 14:12:11

they can easily open a case with paypal and get their money back - you cannot refuse a return/refund.

you are right though, wait to get the phone back and only once checked refund their money. Then you can send a cancellation request too to get your final fees back. Under no circumstances refund before it is returned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now