The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

What safeguards csn I take for selling a phone on ebay?

(10 Posts)
worriedsick100 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:14:27

hi - just want to make that I don't get some scammer buying. I am selling a brand new (box only opened to photo it) s4 worth quite a lot. What should you do to make sure they don't say did not work, send you back different phone etc? I did do this once before but several years ago and I have forgotten what the safeguards are - thanks very much.

LifeofPo Sat 26-Oct-13 11:15:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SandyDilbert Sat 26-Oct-13 11:17:40

cash on collection only really is the only safe way to sell a phone. Always note down the IMEI number too.

worriedsick100 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:19:53

I am doing bank transfer and posting - no way doing it via paypal as there is just no come back on there anymore and for expensive items just not worth the risk. Is it just the IMEI number?

Sell it on preloved.com instead. Its only a fiver for a year on that, with no final valuation fees. The ads are displayed to buyers in distance order, so you are far more likely to get a local buyer who can come pick up and pay cash. You put a fixed price and people pay that. No messing about worrying how much something will go for.

Anything gadgetty - phones, kids games etc, I put on preloved and have never had any probs at all. Anything low value goes on ebay.

On ebay we are always warned NOT to pay bank transfer, as there is no protection for the buyer. Also, you HAVE to offer paypal as an option for buyers. I wouldn't bid on something asking for bank transfer, sorry.

worriedsick100 Sat 26-Oct-13 11:34:25

I am selling on another forum - and ONLY accepting bank transfer - as I said above wont touch paypal for anything expensive. Surprisingly once you have good feedback people generally send bank transfer and they know you are honest. People just don't act the same on ebay - it is almost like one expects to get ripped off on there (and that goes both for the sellers and the buyers). Thanks for that site. I had never heard of it - will check it out.

SandyDilbert Sat 26-Oct-13 12:07:57

send it special delivery to make sure it is adequately insured. As a seller bank transfer is ok, but not as a buyer.

worriedsick100 Sat 26-Oct-13 12:51:09

thanks - yes it is going special delivery and I agree you need to trust the seller if you are buying bank transfer.

I wouldn't sell it on ebay, bank transfer or not.

I wouldn't buy it either if you only insisted on bank transfer.

worriedsick100 Sat 26-Oct-13 22:28:37

Already sold using bank transfer. I know I am honest and phone is 100% brand new so hopefully no issues. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now