This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How do I respond to requests for a BiN price?

(23 Posts)
amistillsexy Thu 24-Oct-13 14:04:10

I listed an item last night, and within twenty minutes, I'd had two requests for a buy it now price.
The item is an antique radiator, and very unusual. I've had it for ten years, always intending to sell it, and I've never seen another one like it, despite looking quite regularly.
I have no idea what it's worth, although I think it's desirable. It's very decorative, and it's small, so easy to fit into any room. It's in amucky state, though, and I've said in the listing that I've not seen it plumbed in, so I don't know if it leaks (it shouldn't, being made of cast iron!).
So, I'm tempted to suggest to each query that they make me an offer, and see what they say, but that feels wrong- as though it would be breaking some sort of Ebay rule.
Do I have to actually state what I want as a BiN, or am I allowed to ask them to suggest a price. Alternatively, would I be best to tell them to bid on it?
No bids have been placed yet, so I could do BiN if I chose to.

nickstmoritz Thu 24-Oct-13 17:23:12

I would let the auction run with that interest. A lot of BIN offers are hoping to get it cheaper than auction. I once listed a vintage dress for £20 BIN 0n a 30 day list - no one bought it but it had LOTs of watchers so I changed it to auction and it went for £50! so with a nice rare item I think you are better to auction. You already know 2 people are interested enough to enquire.

SandyDilbert Thu 24-Oct-13 19:03:51

it is entirely up to you - if you want to offer a buy it now then you can do. There is no rule to say you are not allowed

Just make sure you take cash only if collected, never ever paypal. And if courier do not let buyer arrange their own.

Waferthinmint Thu 24-Oct-13 19:06:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amistillsexy Thu 24-Oct-13 22:28:05

Thanks for your replies, everyone. When I got back from school run/tea time, there was already a bid made, so I could genuinely email back and say it was too late.

Someone came to view the item this evening, and offered £50 to take it away with them. I said no, so it's still here. It's got 12 watchers now, so I think it'll get a few bids.

I've said in my listing it's cash on collection. I learnt that from you lot on here grin

eightandthreequarters Thu 24-Oct-13 22:33:48

I think in your case you should ride out the auction and good luck! I have made BiN offers a few times, always offering more than I would pay in an auction because it was worth it to me to have it quickly. I've had that accepted twice. I have always stated in my initial email what my offer is, though, so not leaving the seller wondering.

amistillsexy Thu 24-Oct-13 22:40:27

I think if they'd made me a gooc offer I might have taken it, eight. It's the 'name your price' thing that made me think they were trying to grab a bargain.
I've just looked, and there are 15 watching, out of 58 views, so I think people must have searches set up for this kind of thing.
I enjoy the excitement...I might look round for more stuff to sell after this grin

MortaIWombat Thu 24-Oct-13 23:08:28

Ooh, put up a link please. I might bid!

hallamoo Thu 24-Oct-13 23:12:00

Sandy - why never ever PayPal?

SandyDilbert Fri 25-Oct-13 08:41:14

because they can claim not received and get their money back.

martinedwards Fri 25-Oct-13 09:30:42

agree with Sandy.

if they are coming to collect, get cash, because you won't get a proof of delivery

if you are shipping a big value item, get a delivery signature, regardless of whether you or they organised the courier.

SandyDilbert Fri 25-Oct-13 09:44:15

you mustn't let a buyer arrange their own courier either - another minefield.

amistillsexy Fri 25-Oct-13 21:15:23

This is just for *AwesomeWellies8, but if it's not allowed, I'm happy for it to be removed...
decorative cast iron radiator

I showed it dp and he got all excited!

Don't do a buy it now, they are people who think you won't know what its worth and are hoping you will say a BIN of £35 or something.

Radiators like that are sought after. We have old cast iron rads in our house that we got from ebay years ago, dp altered the inlet on them to fit modern pipes (or summat... no idea but they work and are lovely and warm!). People doing up loft apartments or older houses want them.

I always start EVERYTHING at 99p on ebay even when I know the thing is worth a lot more because the end prices are always high (people think its a bargain then get carried away with bidding). I once put a bottle of chanel perfume on at 99p (opened - tried once and didn't like it). Within a couple of hours I was getting messages asking for BINs, and in the end it went for more than a brand new bottle would cost in Boots.

Good luck I hope you get a good price for it (I'm sure you will).

Oh and as for the people asking for BINs, reply to them saying 'thankyou for your interest, but I prefer to let auctions run to the end, please have a bid and good luck!'.

And, you can see the bidding history and I will bet that the ones all offering the BIN put low bids on and get outbid.

amistillsexy Sun 27-Oct-13 17:31:33

Thanks for the advice, FlibbertyJibbet (love your nickname by the way. We have a tattoo shop near us with that name, and I alsways smile when I drive past!).
I thought it was a quite exciting piece, but a while ago, I took it to a local antique reclamation place and they turned their noses up at it, so I lost confidence a bit.
I set the start price to match the start price of a bike I've seen on ebay for DS3. We've won the bike for £30, so any extra is a treat!
I'm getting a bit worried that there haven't been any more bids, but we do have 38 watching now, so hopefully they'll start bidding tomorrow. Hope the Internet doesn't go down due to the storms though thlshock

SandyDilbert Sun 27-Oct-13 17:54:57

most people bid in the last 10 seconds or less - you will just have to hold your nerve and cross your fingers.

amistillsexy Sun 27-Oct-13 21:01:57

I know, Sandy. It's too nerve wracking though! thlgrin

Architectural salvage is totally different to antique dealing so don't take that snooty dealer too much to heart.

It just depends on the nights, who wants it and how much they are prepared to pay. Good luck and don't forget to pop back and tell us what it goes for.

amistillsexy Mon 28-Oct-13 21:53:29

Well, it went for £128 in the end, so I'm very pleased with myself. DS can have a bell for his bike, now! thlgrin

nickstmoritz Tue 29-Oct-13 15:06:03

Nice one! Well done smile

nickstmoritz Tue 29-Oct-13 15:11:15

Out of interest, was the final bid more than the BINs you were offered or the price you might have named? I know I would often under estimate a BIN price because I am always doing that for postage estimates, that is why I let auctions run if I am not sure what something might go for. If you had said yes to a BIN for £100 which sounds good it would have been £28 less than your final amount. Glad it went well.

amistillsexy Tue 29-Oct-13 23:09:33

I think I would have accepted 80 if they'd offered, but no-one got to that stage, as bidding had started by the time I replied.
I'm really pleased with the final amount, especially since it was an untested item which could leak, and therefore be worthless.
It was bought by a company who intend to renovate it and sell it on, by the way, so if anyone's interested, pm me and I'll tell you the company to look at. They sell on eBay.

nickstmoritz Wed 30-Oct-13 10:31:38

It is this sort of transaction that makes ebay a useful place. You get some cash for the bike, the business gets some "stock" and someone gets a nice refurbed radiator. All good stuff. Now all you need is to find a huge stash of these rads in the shed! Enjoyed following the story OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now