This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

paypal payment not via ebay?

(8 Posts)
littlemonkeychops Sun 15-Sep-13 16:49:33

Hi

I sold an item yesterday, the buyer messaged via ebay to say they can't pay yet as when they tried to they discovered their paypal is frozen, but they could pay direct to my bank if i gave the details. I replied to say sorry i'm not happy giving my details out so i'll wait til their paypal is up and running.

They've replied today to say ok, am i happy instead to let them have my email address so they can pay direct to my paypal not via ebay.

Does that make sense? As long as i get paid and get proof of delivery am i protected? It sold for £30 which is a lot for me to lose. They have over 500 feedback at 100% so ought to be trustworthy.

Can anyone advise please?

LilyBossom Sun 15-Sep-13 17:33:45

bank transfer is absolutely safe, free and fine. Most sellers would bite their hands off for it. Plus no risk of chargebacks.

But yes they can pay direct to your paypal address - and you should always send with online proof of delivery - MyHermes or Collect + or often cheaper than royal mail.

littlemonkeychops Sun 15-Sep-13 18:03:56

Thanks Lily. I always thought giving out account number/sort codeon the internet was risky from a fraud point of view - is it not?

I also don't understand how they can pay direct to my paypal address if their paypal account is frozen?

LilyBossom Sun 15-Sep-13 18:22:31

no - not risky, is exactly what is written on any cheque you would right.

they will be asking someone else to pay on their behalf I guess. They can do that via the ebay payment for the item anyway if they wish.

LilyBossom Sun 15-Sep-13 18:23:21

sorry - write not right!

littlemonkeychops Sun 15-Sep-13 20:20:16

That's a really good point about cheques, i'd hadn't thought of it like that. Good to save on paypal fees too. I've replied with my bank details.

Thanks for your help.

TakingThePea Sun 15-Sep-13 20:21:29

It's not risky to do bank transfer but you're not protected by paypal so couldn't open a case!

LilyBossom Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:20

it is risky if you are a buyer, but not as a seller.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now