The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Who pays return postage?

(23 Posts)
Yakky Mon 09-Sep-13 19:18:09

I sold a dress a few days ago. Buyer paid but then wanted a refund because it didn't fit.
I informed her that I only usually accepted returns if the item was faulty or not as described.
Next thing I know she's opened a case against me. So I agreed to refund her if item was returned.
Am I legally obliged to pay for return postage?
I wouldn't mind but she obviously bought the item knowing full well a size 10 wouldn't fit.

LilyBossom Mon 09-Sep-13 20:04:46

buyer - but a good seller will pay return postage if the item is not as described.

How do you know she bought a 10 knowing it won't fit? Could the dress have been small for size.

Yakky Mon 09-Sep-13 20:29:41

No the dress was a normal size 10 as it fit me okay and I'm your average size 10.
If she'd asked for measurements before buying I would have supplied them but she didn't.

tanfastic Mon 09-Sep-13 20:32:52

When I sell my secondhand clothes on EBay I wouldn't accept a return if something didn't fit. I think you are being extremely accommodating. I definitely wouldn't pay for her postage to return it. You are not obliged to.

Yakky Mon 09-Sep-13 20:37:10

I received a very snooty message from her today saying she wanted full reimbursement ASAP.
I pointed out that it did actually state that No returns accepted but I was prepared to do a refund when the item was returned.
She replied that it was being sent recorded delivery to make sure there was no funny business.shock

tanfastic Mon 09-Sep-13 20:42:29

Jesus, you always get one. I had a problem last year with someone who claimed they hadn't received something and demanded a refund but then got really abusive and threatening because I asked her to wait a few days to see if it turned up. Called me a scammer etc angry. I wouldn't enter into any further discussion with her, wait till you receive it back, give her a refund and just try and forget about it.

I buy loads of clothes on EBay. If something doesn't fit I wouldn't dream of asking for a refund unless it was a business seller. I just resell it on EBay. I've sometimes even made a profit.

LilyBossom Mon 09-Sep-13 20:44:36

you really can't refuse a return. Is always best to put all measurements on the listing to stop any confusion.

Yakky Mon 09-Sep-13 20:52:42

I don't mind giving a refund of the original payment but do I have to refund the return postage?
That's what's confusing me. I can see her kicking off about it but if I do then I will be out if pocket and she could still leave me negative feedback.

ozymandiusking Mon 09-Sep-13 20:56:09

I state on my returns policy, that I do accept returns, but the buyer must pay the cost of returning the item.

tanfastic Tue 10-Sep-13 07:25:45

As I understand it unless you are a business seller you do not have to accept returns and the distance selling regs do not apply just because something does not fit. If you'd sold something blue and described it as black that's a different matter. Did you state in your listing returns not accepted?

You do not have to refund her return postage.

If in doubt give EBay a ring. They are helpful.

LilyBossom Tue 10-Sep-13 07:27:51

regardless of what you say if a buyer opens a not as described case ebay will tell them to return it and will force you to refund.

mrsmartin1984 Tue 10-Sep-13 12:49:16

Legally if they do not like it they are to pay for postage (both ways) because it's their issue. If you sold it the correct size as described then that is her problem. You can offer them postage one or both ways as an act of goodwill, but that is your decision.

However if you missold the product then you are legally obliged to pay for all the costs incurred which includes postage (both ways)

IsabelleRinging Tue 10-Sep-13 12:52:23

I don't think you have to accept a return unless not as described. You are NOT a shop!

LilyBossom Tue 10-Sep-13 13:26:03

but the fact remains if buyer opens a not as described case ebay will normally find in their favour and refund the buyer.

TheFallenNinja Tue 10-Sep-13 13:28:39

Basically, your screwed. She will get what she wants one way or the other. eBay won't support you neither will PayPal. Get ready for your neg.

tutu100 Tue 10-Sep-13 14:07:59

If she opens a case, then ebay will tell her to return the item to you. They will get you to refund the sale price and the original postage cost, but she will have to pay the cost of the return postage to you. There is nothing she can do about that.

I know as recently we had to return a large item that was not as described and we had to bare the returned courier cost even though it was the sellers fault.

nickstmoritz Tue 10-Sep-13 14:18:37

Sadly your buyer sounds a bit of a pain and I think they might cause you problems with feedback if they don't get their own way. I accept returns but if a buyer changes their mind or it doesn't fit then they pay postage to return. So far I have only had the odd thing back and no disputes over paying return postage. It is a bit of a hassle but they have left good feedback and I have re sold the items anyway.
However I would expect someone to be pleasant and return in the same condition & within 7 days.

Yakky Tue 10-Sep-13 16:20:18

What I don't understand is how someone can open a case for something not as described when it clearly is sold as described.

peachypips Tue 10-Sep-13 19:20:03

Hi,

Sorry to hijack but have a similar question! I bought a dress which stated it was a 14 but it was a 12 when it arrived. It clearly stated a 14, and label very clearly says 12.

It also has a small rip by the zip that was not stated.

I contacted the seller and she said I was wrong and that it said 14!! It is right in front of me and it doesn't. I then asked for a refund and she said yes, but would wait for me to send it first before she gave me the money. She also refuses to pay return postage.

What do I do!

LilyBossom Tue 10-Sep-13 19:25:10

you have to return tracked at your expense for a refund - they won't refund first before you return it. Make sure you send with a signature too.

nickstmoritz Tue 10-Sep-13 22:18:06

I don't think you can be expected to pay postage to return an item incorrectly described. Perhaps you could take a photo of the size label and tell seller you will check with ebay about who should pay returns. It is not really fair as you will be down recorded delivery postage (£4.10 for 1st class) and seller was wrong. If not helpful then leave appropriate feedback & stars.

Yakky Tue 10-Sep-13 22:18:09

Well I think in your case it is definitely not as described as it is the wrong size. So I would hold my hands up to that one if I was the seller.

mamij Fri 13-Sep-13 19:51:02

Buyer pays for the postage.

You can always comment if the buyer leaves a negative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now