The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

eBay newbie needs help with international purchase

(8 Posts)
ViviDeBeauvoir Fri 06-Sep-13 09:43:27

I've never used eBay before but have found a pair of boots I've been hunting down - literally the last pair anywhere (I've even contacted the supplier and they're discontinued).
The seller is in America and there are obviously higher shipping costs. Fine. But I don't understand the customs thing. How do I pay it? Do I definitely have to pay it? Under what circumstances would they not let me have the item? How long does it take? Etc etc

I've looked on HMRC website but I'm none the wiser so hoping someone can help me on here!

Auction ends today (BIN) so need to decide pretty much straight away.

ViviDeBeauvoir Fri 06-Sep-13 16:51:53

Bump

Twiddlebum Fri 06-Sep-13 16:57:02

I think they deal with it their end when posting the item. Make sure it is tracked and insured as many items go missing

LilyBossom Fri 06-Sep-13 17:02:57

customs in the UK will add the charge won't they, and ask you to pay before they deliver.

ViviDeBeauvoir Fri 06-Sep-13 17:37:45

Thanks. This might sound silly but how do they work out how much it is? Is it a percentage?

SilverViking Fri 06-Sep-13 17:51:40

Seller will put on label to say what item is, and value. Some Sellers I have dealt with have put a low value. I have not paid tax, but assume if UK customs inspects your package they will apply a tax on what they think the value is, rather than the Sellers value. The post office will then collect the money from you on delivery.

ViviDeBeauvoir Fri 06-Sep-13 18:18:04

Thanks, that's really helpful!
Best get bidding. smile

missedmebythatmuch Sat 07-Sep-13 14:40:53

UK customs may also levy an admin fee on top of the duty, which can be quite significant. I think there are online calculators to tell you exactly what you'd pay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now