The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Selling clothes

(6 Posts)
furfoxsake Fri 06-Sep-13 09:15:15

I've had a good clear out and got loads of clothes in good nick. They're good brands (Fat Face etc) and i also have decent maternity clothes to sell, but when I've listed in the past they haven't sold or only gone for pence and cost me more to sell.

Is it worth bothering and if so how - individual items or bundles?
Is it just the same to Music Magpie them? I don't have a lot of time on my hands to list loads of stuff that doesn't sell so just looking for some pointers really. Thanks!

nickstmoritz Fri 06-Sep-13 10:29:11

If the clothes are summer ones you might be best to save them and list next spring. People will be looking for autumn winter now.

Otherwise take the best possible photos - include close ups, back, front, hanging on a nice hanger with a neutral background. Describe with size & measurements and any particulars that help sell the item - perhaps the current retail price for the item etc highlight if the item is in very good/excellent or nearly new condition.

Start the items at a minimum price you would be happy with. Once you have listed the item it is easy to relist if it does not sell first time. You might need to re list a couple of times. If you just want rid then start at 99p and hope for the best.

Pick a good time to start your auction so it finishes when people are browsing or not so busy or pay 6p to schedule them to start at that time. Most people seem to think Sunday eve a pretty good time to have an auction finish so start on a Sun or do 10 day auction starting on a Thurs eve. I usually go for after 8.45pm finish. Free listing days are a good time to get things listed.

TheBakeryQueen Mon 09-Sep-13 10:32:10

Agree with nickst... Except, don't pay 6p to set an auction start time.

You can create the listing & then instead of publishing save it to drafts.

You can then go to drafts & finish the listings at your preferred time & publish them in seconds. And it's free.

nickstmoritz Mon 09-Sep-13 13:04:41

Good suggestion. BakeryQueen do you know how many drafts can be saved at one time?

PeacockPlumage Mon 09-Sep-13 13:09:51

You could try gumtree, local fb selling pages, nct sales for maternity bits, or even uploading them to a 'selling' photo album on your own fb, reducing the privacy settings on that album and asking friends to share it.

TheBakeryQueen Mon 09-Sep-13 14:43:13

I don't know if there's a limit, I've done about 8 at once before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now