The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Haven't used ebay for ages, why has this happened?

(11 Posts)
SeymoreButts Fri 06-Sep-13 06:59:43

It's been about 5 years since I last used ebay. I'm selling a breast pump, the completed listings I've looked at are all over $100. My auction has 3 days left and has been bid up to $70 so far. I've just had an email offering to buy it for $50 and collect it over the weekend. Obviously this is really cheeky, but why offer less than the current price? Are there some fees that I don't know about??

GertBySea Fri 06-Sep-13 07:02:45

There are final value fees and PayPal fees. You can check what they will be for your country and the various final amounts on the eBay website.

BikeRunSki Fri 06-Sep-13 07:03:40

They are just trying it on. If yiu have bids up to $70, I' d say something like 'This item is on an auction which finished on Sunday'.

SeymoreButts Fri 06-Sep-13 07:14:18

Thanks for replies, just had a look I'll be paying a 9.9% final value fee and then the paypal fee on top of that. I am guessing I am very late to the party to be a bit annoyed at that! Still more than $50 though! grin

WeAreEternal Fri 06-Sep-13 07:20:57

I would reply with,

"Yes that would be great, put in your bid on the auction and we can make further arrangements if you are the lucky winner.

Thanks so much."

When they inevitably reply with something along the lines of 'no I want to buy if now' just say "sorry it is an auction not a buy it now, you have to bid to buy"

Some people are so cheeky.

exoticfruits Fri 06-Sep-13 07:28:12

They just want it cheaper. I have had them give reasons e.g. It is for grandad's birthday but I ignore and just say that I want the highest price.
Lots of people don't make a bid until the last day.

LilyBossom Fri 06-Sep-13 07:30:42

And it is against the rules to complete an off ebay sale. I think they have a nerve offering so little too.

SeymoreButts Fri 06-Sep-13 07:54:29

This is actually the second message I've had asking to complete off ebay. The first one asked if I had a buy it now price, to which I said "no, and I can't add one now there are bids" and they replied saying they were happy to complete the transaction off ebay. Then I got the $50 message this morning and I started to feel a bit dazed and confused!

exoticfruits Fri 06-Sep-13 09:10:37

They try it on! Just say 'NO'.

lljkk Sat 07-Sep-13 17:36:53

Are you using $ because you work in $? Because Ebay.com fees are different from UK fee schedule.

If you complete sale off of Ebay you don't pay Ebay around $10 in FVF. If Ebay figure out you did that you lose your selling account.

You're current price is $70; £70 on ebay-uk would mean a net profit of £54 minus paypal fees (another 80p or so), so probably still good idea to let it run.

SeymoreButts Sun 08-Sep-13 00:32:59

It's actually Australian dollars, I'm using .com.au! The fees are pretty steep really. I noticed that they are lower for businesses, but only marginally!

I normally sell baby gear on a local facebook page, but thought I would put the pump on ebay since it's worth a bit more. I think I'll be going back to facebook after this though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now