This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Who's responsible for items posted 1st class - if they go missing?

(5 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 05-Sep-13 14:03:50

Sorry, probably a really obvious one to seasoned eBayers, but I've just made a sale for the 2nd time in my life. Am planning to mail it 1st class standard and put in postage costs for this accordingly.

Now I'm wondering what happens if it does go astray for some reason. Would I have to refund buyer even though I no longer have the item to sell on?

4athomeand1cooking Thu 05-Sep-13 14:30:10

You are I am afraid. Best to send it by recorded delivery.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Thu 05-Sep-13 14:51:38

Okay, thanks.

ChazDingle Fri 06-Sep-13 08:37:46

but recorded costs alot more so if its only a low value item i take a chance and send it normal post, crossed fingers i've not had anything go missing yet and if i do i think i will have saved overall on the all the items i've posted in the past.

You can still get a proof of posting from royal mail if you post 1st class non recorded and then if it does go missing you refund the buyer and reclaim from royal mail, i'm not sure how successful getting a refund from royal mail is in practise as i've never had anything go missing yet (crossed fingers)

sarahtigh Sat 07-Sep-13 16:47:31

it does not matter how it is sent the seller is always responsible for it arriving whatever comments to the contrary they may make in listing

if costs less than £20 and you keep your proof of posting you can use that to claim from Royal mail after 15 working days

if you send signed for/ tracked if it does not arrive you can of course see that on Royal mail etc tracking info and enter it on ebay so no possibility of anyone claiming not received when they have

most people are honest and for low value items signed for adds a high % to costs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now