This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

bugger. I've somehow bid and won something i wasn't trying to win

(11 Posts)
shelley72 Tue 03-Sep-13 21:24:42

For once I've won an auction. I can't cancel now can I? I'm not even sure how it happened - when I switched on emails I had one from seller, then one from eBay saying I'd won, then one saying a bid had been entered - in that order.
Can I do anything? Or just pay up and learn not to do it again?!

TheTruffleHunter Tue 03-Sep-13 21:27:46

Um, why did you bid if you didn't want it?

LilyBossom Tue 03-Sep-13 21:35:55

you can ask them to send you a cancellation request, you accept it and they get their fees refunded and then they can relist.

Imsosorryalan Tue 03-Sep-13 21:39:16

Hmm. It's definitely frowned upon if you cancel after winning. I've had folk not pay when they win and want to back out.i now leave them negative feedback as I'm so sick of it. It's a hassle claiming fees back and resisting as you don't always get the price originally won at iyswim

LilyBossom Tue 03-Sep-13 21:42:04

Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers any more.

AnythingNotEverything Tue 03-Sep-13 21:44:41

Did you bid?

shelley72 Wed 04-Sep-13 03:23:48

I did bid earlier on, but was automatically outbid and then screen kind of got stuck and then nothing happened. Don't tend to buy on eBay unless it's from a shop so no bidding involved!
Think I may just pay up in the morning and chalk up to experience. do feel a bit dim though.

deliakate Wed 04-Sep-13 08:16:02

Firstly, email the seller and ask if they could make the 2nd chance offer to the next highest bidder. I have done this, and they took it instead.

Sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers but they can report them to eBay for non paying bidder etc.

If you did bid on it then why don't you want it now?

It's possible that you were outbid and then the real winning bidder cancelled their bid before the auction ended, which to me smells of a seller getting a friend to bid their item up it he hope that you will increase your bid.

I once got outbid like this and so put in a bid on another the same, which I won for less money. Then got an email tosay I'd won the first one (for a higher price). Emailed seller to tell them what I'd done and they were fine with it.

Tryharder Wed 04-Sep-13 10:37:52

Yeah, sounds like seller was getting a mate to bid against you. Mate then withdraws bid leaving you the highest bidder but at your 'top price'. Cheeky cow!

If you no longer want the item, just email her politely and say that as you had originally been outbid on the item, you had bought it somewhere else and therefore no longer want hers. Can you please cancel the transaction. Don't pay. There is nothing she can do other than open up a non paying case against you. If she gets nasty, report to eBay saying that you suspect shill bidding. If she gets really nasty, report to police.

Tryharder Wed 04-Sep-13 10:40:58

But if seller has been guilty of shill bidding, she won't want to get eBay involved in scrutinising the transaction, so I'm fairly sure she will be happy to cancel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now