The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

£60 for plastic 3 piece dinner set- am I missing something???

(12 Posts)
Wallace Sat 15-Jun-13 09:35:51

Ah that makes sense

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Jun-13 09:24:51

Oh, in that case I might know why. eBay traders sometimes do this when they are out of stock on an item, so nobody will bid on it until they get more stock. Then they don't have to end the listing and relist again.

sixlostmonkeys Sat 15-Jun-13 09:21:07

they sold for 1.99 and 4.99. Don't know why it's showing 59.99 on the listing (odd)

HomeEcoGnomist Sat 15-Jun-13 09:05:05

Yes, that's the one!

It's bizarre that people are paying that.
Ours actually is a Peter Rabbit one...but I don't think I'll be asking £60!!

Would be happy with a tender!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 15-Jun-13 08:23:23

I could ALMOST understand it if the design was a gorgeous vintagey one but it's just kind of average...

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Jun-13 07:36:34

It's not even Peter Rabbit! How odd.

Ledkr Spain Sat 15-Jun-13 07:36:26

How strange <searches the plastic plate cupboards frantically>

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 15-Jun-13 07:33:26

this on? As far as I can see it's not even Peter Rabbit but a generic rabbit!

The seller has shifted 22 of them! People must love the design is all I can think.

HomeEcoGnomist Fri 14-Jun-13 23:36:25

I don't know how to do a link, but in the eBay search function I typed "children's dinner set" and then put a filter on to only show items where the bidding has ended. 4th, 5th and 6th items are all priced 59.99

They are, as far as I can tell, bog standard melamine sets, 2 labelled "cute kids" and 1 "Peter rabbit"

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 14-Jun-13 21:57:01

I've just searched and all the melamine dinner sets are priced between 12 and 25 pounds tops....linkage please!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 14-Jun-13 21:54:21

Well I don't know...Saying "Peter Rabbit or similar" is too vague to comment...certain character items are highly collectable and others not so much.

Vintage pieces could fetch that price in the box...but you can buy a new PR melamine set for about twenty quid in John Lewis...the ones you have, what character are they? What's on the box?

HomeEcoGnomist Fri 14-Jun-13 18:10:49

Having started to clear out the loft, I am checking previous eBay sales to see if it's worth putting stuff on there

We have a brand new in box melamine dinner set - Peter Rabbit or similar

I've just seen 3 items on eBay like this for £60 each!!!

Am I missing some sophisticated scam here, where 'dinner set' is code for something else?!

It just seems so unbelievable that anyone would pay that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now