The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Seller offers local delivery but wants paying for a man with a van price WWYD?

(37 Posts)
WeAreEternal Thu 13-Jun-13 10:53:54

I bid on and won a large item, the seller stated collection only but said "I have a van so am able to deliver locally if needed"

I sent the seller a message to ask how much he would charge for delivery before the auction ended but he didn't reply. I really wanted the item so I bid anyway.

After the auction ended the seller emailed me with his address and said "don't pay by PayPal as I only accept cash" (which is fair enough.)
I replied and said I would like him to deliver the item if possible, he said that's fine and he would "get back to me after checking out costs"
He later emailed and said he had called a few men with vans and he would charge £60 for the 8 mile delivery. (It's a big but not heavy item by the way)

So I replied and said I didn't realise that he would be charging for a delivery service, and that I would have to think about it and explore other options.

I've called around a few men with vans and had quotes from £40-80.

I told the seller that I've had a quote for £40 and that if he can't give a better quote I will go with them, but the seller said "that's fine but I still expect you to come here with the cash

lljkk Thu 13-Jun-13 22:21:37

So I am a complete anorak about what it costs to run my big car. It's particularly bad at 43p/mile (all variable costs except depreciation). My friend's motorhome costs less to run.
Allow 1/2 each way, means an hour of the man's time.
Pay him £10 an hour, plus costs (£6.45). Allow a little extra for fixed costs...
I really can't understand why can't fetch it for ~ £20, unless your Man needs to help a lot with lifting, or has proper insurance, perhaps?

CalamityGin Thu 13-Jun-13 22:27:39

but don't you look at the buyer's feedback? the people buying from me have lots of positive feedback. It seems a little paranoid to me but then I guess I'm wet behind the ears - have many times have you been stung?

My sofa went for £50, he paid by paypal, collected and then left positive feedback. No problems.

I don't see how you can demand cash when the option on the listing is "paypal". Either way, I've sent the two buyers emails to say that I hear cash on collection is the done thing and to contact me to discuss this. Feel totally weird about it and very untrusting!

lljkk Thu 13-Jun-13 22:28:44

Can't leave neg f/back for buyers so f/back for buyer means nothing....!!
I am sure stings are rare, too.
Can't demand cash but I would grovel if came to it.

CalamityGin Thu 13-Jun-13 22:34:07

eh? of course negative feeback can be left for buyers by the people selling to buyers - this buyer did not pay promptly or nightmare to deal with? Or am I missing something here? I left feedback for the guy that bought my sofa - prompt payment etc or did I?!?! am starting to feel that I am operating in a parallel universe.

fergoose Thu 13-Jun-13 22:37:42

no you can't leave a neg for a buyer and a neg statement on a positive rating is not permitted.

CalamityGin Thu 13-Jun-13 22:44:49

ah right I see. so I am feeling like a right numpty novice having sent both messages as soon as they won the items saying congratulations please do pay by paypal and then we can arrange suitable contact time and then a few hours later coming on here (a few glasses the worse for wear) and reading all this stuff and then sending them another message saying oh hang on you're all crooks the done thing is do cash on delivery, please contact me with regards to this and arranging collection time. They're probably both confused at me now. What do I do if they submit payment via paypal???

and WHY isn't photograph proof?? fucking ridiculous!

fergoose Thu 13-Jun-13 22:48:15

because you could provide a photo of anyone - a photo does not prove a buyer has received an item, only online tracking with a courier does.

CalamityGin Thu 13-Jun-13 22:55:43

yes I see. So how often do people do this paying for an item, turning up and collecting it and then claiming that the seller didn't give them the goods? is there a whole underworld of ebay crime going on?

what about the "report buyer" button?? sorry to be going on about this - totally hijacking and should have started my own thread

fergoose Thu 13-Jun-13 23:03:48

not sure, a mumsnetter last year lost £400 and a mobile, but after kicking up huge fuss paypal backed down and gave back the money, police didn't trace the scam buyer I don't think.

CalamityGin Thu 13-Jun-13 23:15:31

hmm not sure scammers are going to be giving me the time of day - no mobiles or high tech stuff here - a pair of electrical goods that went for £50 for the pair and a couple of pieces of furniture sold collectively for just over a £100. Where's Lovejoy when you need him eh?

oh well see how it goes, they probably think I'm a right loon! they might be right ... really fancy a piece of that Guinness chocolate cake now that was being brazenly bandied around on the cake thread earlier.

baabi Fri 14-Jun-13 00:31:35

Everybody advising cash on collection is right. I have actually been advised by Paypal directly that I was within my rights to cancel a payment and insist on cash on collection as I would have no protection if the buyer claimed no receipt of goods.

In relation to the OP I think the charge quoted sounds high for the distance but if it is a very large item, that might be the reason, for transport companies volume can be more relevant than weight really. Would he need to pack or protect the item in any way, for example. I am afraid I agree with seller, I would never allow a buyer to organise a collection by a 3rd party unless they brought the cash with them. I will risk getting negative feedback over loosing my money any day.

plainjaney Fri 14-Jun-13 11:00:21

Just to add, lljkk not all 'Man with a van' set ups require you to go with them. I've used a few local ones and not a one has requested me with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now