The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

What should I do about this?...

(12 Posts)
IceAddict Sun 09-Jun-13 18:17:54

Bid and won 2 sofas on ebay wed 5/6/13 emailed seller immediately to arrange to pick up sunday (today) got no reply so I had not had the ok to collect and no address so couldn't have just turned up.

Received first email from seller at 2:30pm today asking what time we were collecting them as they need them gone today.

I explained i had waited for a reply but did not receive one so we had gone on a day out to the beach, the next available day for us to collect is next Saturday as partner is at work with his van all week and they live an hour away.

I've just had a reply to say I can't have them then because they need them gone today as they're moving out of their house.

What should I do? Can't open a resolution as I'd have to go to their house to collect and it would be awkward. I don't think I have any choice but to forget it. Which I'm unhappy about.

WeAreEternal Sun 09-Jun-13 18:35:47

Could you ask them to deliver?

Surely they will have a van if they are moving, and if they need them gone so urgently then it would be in their best interests to deliver.

Or could you go on an evening in your dh's work van?

IceAddict Sun 09-Jun-13 19:02:55

Thanks for your reply, I'd not thought of that, I will offer to pay petrol for them to deliver. Partners away working this week so can't collect then.

Im thinking They must have a higher offer unless they're just leaving them at the house that they can't take them from.

My bid won at a low price for what they are so i had a feeling they might be funny.

WeAreEternal Sun 09-Jun-13 19:36:04

If they sold for a low price they are probably hoping to sell elsewhere for more.

You could also look into finding a local man with a ban service, post on your local Facebook stuff for sale pages, there are always people advertising on mine.

Also IIWM I would pay by PayPal now, that way you have the upper hand with PayPal should they try to weasel out of selling

nancerama Sun 09-Jun-13 19:38:53

Try www.anyvan.com. Post your job and local van men bid for it. It's brilliant.

fergoose Sun 09-Jun-13 20:51:46

do not paypal, collected items should be cash only.

lljkk Netherlands Sun 09-Jun-13 20:56:38

What risk is there to Buyer by using Paypal?

fergoose Sun 09-Jun-13 21:01:19

if not as described they have to show online proof of return to get their money back, ie, courier. 2 sofas will be pricey to return.

IceAddict Sun 09-Jun-13 22:32:24

Thanks everyone, will check the man & van details out now, as yet have had no reply to suggestion of delivery. I haven't yet paid as it was cash on collection.

WeAreEternal Mon 10-Jun-13 01:00:13

With a local man with a van service Ice will have to go with them to collect the sofas, which is why I suggested that and not a courier.
(I wouldn't see the point in a courier as I assume they are local)

Therefore PayPal will be a perfectly acceptable method of payment, as if anything happens she can always file a dispute and get her money back.
It will also help to ensure that the seller does not try to back out of the sale.

PayPal payment for a collection only item is only a risk to the seller, which is why most ask for cash on collection, but they have to offer PayPal as it is eBay policy, so you would be entirely within your rights to pay by PayPal.

IceAddict Mon 10-Jun-13 07:21:08

Really! Didn't know you had to go with them. They've still not replied anyway, suppose I'll have to leave it now.

Can't even leave feedback to warn anyone what they are like as they'll prob return the favour!

fergoose Mon 10-Jun-13 07:59:28

and the seller can just refund the paypal and ask for cash. No decent seller will accept paypal and let the buyer arrange their own courier, is leaving them wide open to being scammed. And a buyer can't just open a dispute and get their money back - unless they commit fraud and lie that they haven't received the item. In which case the seller will prob call the police and/or take the buyer to court for the lost money.

The seller can't leave you a neg.

Why don't you pull their details and call them?

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now