This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What % of sale would you give to someone who did listings for you?

(9 Posts)
Champagnesupernovah Sun 02-Jun-13 19:21:00

I am toying with the idea of "employing" my neighbour's 16 y/o dd to list a whole pile of stuff for me - I have almost a whole ROOM full of stuff to go on eBay and could really do with the money tbh but am v time starved atm. (yes I know, need to get off MN grin)

Just wondering what a reasonable cut would be?

Or should I offer a flat fee per listing that she does ?

TIA

fergoose Sun 02-Jun-13 19:59:27

Varies from 10% up to 50% after all fees, but a 16 year old is too young to have an ebay account so irrelevant really.

Champagnesupernovah Sun 02-Jun-13 20:06:15

She would be just writing the copy for my sales - I would be uploading on MY account.

LineRunner Sun 02-Jun-13 20:16:54

When I had a mad eBay frenzy last year I realised that it takes a lot of time.

Photos.
Measurements.
Writing listing.
Uploading.
Answering queries / emails.
Wrapping.
Posting.

I'd give someone 50% of the profit to take all that grief off my hands. Maybe 35% to do the first 4 of the 7.

IKnowWhat Sun 02-Jun-13 22:42:24

Will you monitor the listing once its Underway?

I would pay her by the hour. I would give her £10.

dotnet Tue 04-Jun-13 07:56:37

Wow - Linerunner you're generous!

The figure which came into my mind was twenty five per cent. So something which sells for a fiver - she gets £1.25.
But if you find you're doing well on your sales, and after all, she is doing all the donkey work, you can always admit a crisis of conscience, and increase her cut to a third of what you make.

IKnowWhat Tue 04-Jun-13 09:33:57

If you gave her a percentage based amount of money then you have to have a minimum payment per posting. What if you sell something for 99p. It is not going to be worth her while doing the work for 25p

ValentineWiggins Tue 04-Jun-13 09:37:15

I would go with pay per hour plus abound at the end when it has all sold!

lljkk Wed 05-Jun-13 10:27:05

I have split 50-50 with friends.
I am taking 10% of listings I currently do for DS. They take a huge amount of time!
Technically it should depend on value of items, too. 50% of 99p or 50% of £99? A fee of 50% or £5 whichever is smaller would be reasonable, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now