The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Is this normal or just a bit cheeky?

(11 Posts)
bubble2bubble Wed 29-May-13 18:27:51

Listed a load of baby stuff and clothes at the weekend. So far I have had two emails offering what I think are ridiculously low prices and asking me to take the items off auction.
A BNWT bathrobe ( well known brand ) which retails at £45 - buyer asked for £5 including postage ( would cost at least three quid to post! ) and a very little used baby carrier which retails £250 and mostly goes on Ebay for around £100 whether in good condition or not - buyer wanted to have it for £50
Just wondered if this is normal behaviour for Ebay these days as I haven't listed any personal stuff for a few years?

K8Middleton Wed 29-May-13 18:29:50

Cheeky buggers on eBay are not unusual.

Just politely reply that you are going to let the auction run.

bubble2bubble Wed 29-May-13 18:33:41

I have done exactly that , just a bit shocked as I would never dream of doing it myself confused

K8Middleton Wed 29-May-13 18:36:53

I've been asked for discounts at charity sales. Very little surprises me any more!

fergoose Wed 29-May-13 18:52:54

very cheeky - not even worthy of a reply really.

Emilythornesbff Thu 30-May-13 08:54:24

I am often surprised at the low bids offered on things on eBay.
I hope you get a fair deal for your things.
I can no longer bear to list my dcs used clothes. Beautiful, cherished items that were very expensive to buy and in lovely condition just fetching a couple of quid.
Of course that's the nature of the beast. I understand that.
I saw a birthing pool go for less than £10 this week. Unreal.

baabi Thu 30-May-13 13:39:47

I think it is normal, people will always try to get the best deal out of everything and some are not into brands and are not aware/ do not care how much things are worth new. As a buyer I am a bit like that, I will not pay much for something that has already been used independent of the make.

As a seller I find the best thing with ebay is not to take personally. I sell because I no longer use it or want to get rid of it while re-couping some money so I welcome the offers if it suits me, otherwise I just wait till the end of auction. Although to be fair I tend to refuse offers from people I realise are businesses and will re-sell, as it usually indicates the items will go for a lot more than their offer grin

Very normal, I always ask for a buy it now price if I'm desperate for something and there are no bids but it's got ages left to run.
I've also been approached and sold off eBay, saved the fees smile

Emilythornesbff Thu 30-May-13 16:40:17

Yes I think you're right baabi

plainjaney Thu 30-May-13 18:32:25

I think its reasonable to ask for a BIN price, but when I get people making stupid offers I usually politely decline and block them.

I'm probably cynical but I've found in the past that people who make silly offers can find non existent faults with items and ask for partial refunds. More trouble than they are worth I think ;)

bubble2bubble Thu 30-May-13 19:26:22

I've asked for a BIN before myself when really desparate for a really hard to get item that Santa couldn't make that year but gave what I thought was a very decent offer which the seller immediately accepted

I wouldn't personally ask for a BIN to try and get something cheap - thought that's what auctions were for ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now