The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Crazy bidding for pjs

(25 Posts)
GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 17:51:53

I'm selling a pair of used pyjamas from Toast. I've only worn them a few times and they're in good condition. But ... the bidding is at 57 pounds and ends tomorrow!!

I feel very uncomfortable about this as I'm fairly sure I didn't pay this for them when they were new, I bought them over 3 years ago to go to hospital when I had DD2. I've checked the Toast website and they don't seem to have any for sale at the moment. I googled and found some new ones which are for sale reduced to 46 pounds from over 60 pounds.

What do I do? Should I email the winning bidder to say that I'm happy to sell them at a reduced price, say 40 pounds? The highest bidder is new to ebay and currently has zero feedback which is also sending alarm bells.

It just doesn't feel right to accept nearly 60 pounds for a pair of second hand pyjamas. What would you do?

TippiShagpile Sun 26-May-13 17:53:05

Sell them for what they go for and enjoy the money. smile

iliketea Sun 26-May-13 17:53:51

Maybe people buy used PJs for the same reason people buy used shoes and that's why the bidding's gone mad wink

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 17:55:14

No. Let them pay what they think they are worth. It's crazy, but the fact is that quite often if you buy at auction you are paying more than the market price.

Put it down to good luck on your part. You win some, you lose some. On this case, you are winning.

GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 17:56:59

iliketea - why DO people buy used shoes??? You're going to tell me it's some weirdy fetish thing, aren't you? Eww

Smudging Sun 26-May-13 17:58:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFutureMrsB Sun 26-May-13 17:58:58

Don't worry about it, if someone wants to spend that amount then that's not your problem.

Enjoy the money as Tippi has said but iliketea has mentioned a good point! wink

Smudging Sun 26-May-13 17:59:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 18:00:16

Oh I don't know, it's tempting to keep the money but it doesn't seem right. I'm also paranoid that the highest bidder won't think they're worth the money when they receive them and then leave neg feedback. It does seem a stupid amount of money to pay for used pjs - maybe they think they're something really special and will be disappointed. I feel I've been honest in the description and the photos show a very good likeness.

GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 18:07:07

Smudging grin

iliketea Sun 26-May-13 18:09:07

yep - sone weird fetish thing with shoes. And so what if someone is buying them for that - if people are willing to give you more money for 2nd hand pjs than you paid for them let them I say!!

GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 18:10:53

By that reasoning, do you reckon I could fetch the same amount for my Primark pjs? Might go through my drawers and list the lot. smile

everythinghippie29 Sun 26-May-13 18:23:38

As long as you have put a full description saying they are used and have been honest about their condition/ quality, I don't think you have a problem! They are worth as much as people are willing to pay for them at the end of the day.

If the style is no longer available and desirable that might have upped their value but each bidder has the opportunity to set a maximum bid so you shouldn't feel bad if it's more than you paid. It's the nature of auctions!

I say enjoy it. grin

fergoose Sun 26-May-13 18:28:12

And make sure you send them with proof of delivery so buyer can't claim they didn't arrive.

indahouse Sun 26-May-13 18:28:54

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for them. You have no reason to feel guilty. And you're right, they look very unappealing in the photos, so there must be people who really like them and know what they're buying. As long as there are no rips or stains I don't see how anyone can leave neg feedback.

Off to Toast website to buy few 'investment pieces'...

TheFallenNinja Sun 26-May-13 18:32:19

Take the money, or it would be unfair on the person who stopped at £40

NotSoNervous Sun 26-May-13 18:34:25

I would just accept whatever they go for. If someone wants to bid that much and haven't searched online before then that's up to them but who the hell would spend that much on pjs used or new I don't know

Bowlersarm Sun 26-May-13 18:35:05

Honestly don't worry about it. The buyer will think they are getting a bargain. Cos you always do at auction smile

PurplePidjin Sun 26-May-13 18:36:52

If you're that uncomfortable then donate anything over £40 to charity.

It's not your fault though, it's easy enough to google these things and the high bidders could have done so.

New to ebay and no feedback sounds alarming, though, make sure you play by the rules!

ArtexMonkey Sun 26-May-13 18:38:58

Just take the money, why not huh?

Maybe some tv show had someone wearing the same pair or something and that's why people specifically want those ones. Nowt so queer as folk.

GollyGumdrops Sun 26-May-13 19:11:34

Purple Pidjin, good point. I will donate the extra to charity. And Fergoose, yes I'll get proof of delivery. I totally don't get anyone paying this sort of money for used pjs, which is making me wary.

cantpooinpeace Sun 26-May-13 19:14:14

Thread crashing here but I have put some used but vair nice Fly boots on & no bugger is bidding - how can this be if people like used shoes?

fergoose Sun 26-May-13 19:25:55

wrong time of year to sell boots really.

Fairygen Sun 26-May-13 19:42:50

I'd count myself lucky if I were you! I've sold a load of dr who DVDs that came free with the magazine for nearly £100 in the past, but a great little kids bike which was as new didn't get one bid!!

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 26-May-13 19:47:01

I sold my used airline uniform boots on fleabay a few years back. The highest bidder didn't actually want the boots just pictures of me wearing them! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now