The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Would you buy used shoes?

(18 Posts)
SqueakyCleanNameChange Sun 02-Jun-13 11:08:52

Charity shop yes, if clearly party shoes worn once, eBay no.

lljkk Netherlands Sun 02-Jun-13 11:06:28

I did recently, some 2nd hand walking boots for DD. They wash.

dotnet Fri 31-May-13 07:30:07

Thing is, with shoes someone else has thrown out - there was a reason. Yes, I buy second hand shoes from charity shops. But sometimes I've had to pass them on again, because I find they rub in the same place (probably) as they did on the person who handed them in in the first place.
But no harm really - charity shop shoes are usually no more than about £4, and £4 is quite a good donation for the charity, look at it that way.
As for posh brands from eBay - well, if they don't fit comfortably, you can relist and resell them yourself.
I wouldn't buy shoes which look well worn, only almost as new.

Pandsbear Thu 30-May-13 11:08:58

Yes I would buy and also sell them! Well not so much selling anymore as I have got rid of all the don't quite fit/not comfortable/too high shoes that I did have. I wouldn't buy or sell shoes on ebay that have been worn as such - they have to be pretty immaculate. Basically the mistakes/the not good fit/ the too-many-shoes clear out.

burberryqueen Wed 29-May-13 11:23:37

yes if they were worn once kind of thing, otherwise definitely not

DeafLeopard Wed 29-May-13 11:20:45

Worn once shoes that are not for daily wear, then yes.

Not for the DCs growing feet though as I have heard that the shoes mould to the feet which can cause problems for someone else wearing them.

higgle Wed 29-May-13 11:11:52

Yes, usually "worn once" or so . I have lots of nice shoes that fit me that obviously didn't fit someone else. They include some Gudrun Sjoden red shoes (£10, £89 new) and some navy Unisa Heels ( £5, £105 new) I wouldn't buy anything that was well worn but there are some real bargains to be had.

Yes definitely - got Gina's and Jimmy Choos all either worn once or unworn.

I got a brand new pair of £535 Gina shoes for £26!

They are still my favourite shoes 5 years later.

Merguez Wed 22-May-13 17:03:27

Yes I bought some 2nd hand Prada boots on ebay 8 years ago. Would never have been able to afford them and I am still wearing them occasionally 8 years later!

That is when ebay really comes into its own.

ivykaty44 Mon 20-May-13 19:35:47

no due to them being worn by someone else who stands differently and wlaks differently - this makes them unsuitable as a buy on my feet which I want to be nice and comfortable and not slip in the wrong places as they are worn awkwardly

ThenWeTakeBerlin Mon 20-May-13 19:33:46

That's a fabulous bargain, perplexedpirate!

They're still at £20, I'm keeping a close eye...

perplexedpirate Mon 20-May-13 15:07:09

Yes. I was a bit ewwww, same as you OP, but a pair of barely worn Prada sling backs for £10 in a charity shop soon changed my mind.
They are exquisite! gringringrin

ThenWeTakeBerlin Mon 20-May-13 15:07:02

Thanks, Poppy Wearer smile

I think I'll go for it! They coined with the box and the dust bag. The photos detail the slight scuffing on the sole and at least the seller's honest that they've been worn.

PoppyWearer Mon 20-May-13 14:58:53

I buy shoes all the time! I have encountered a couple of fakes, but lots more of the wore-it-once-bought-wrong-size variety.

So, you get some lovely new designer shoes for £100 but they have been worn in just enough to be comfy. What's not to like?grin

I refer you to my comfy comfy comfy Jimmy Choo suede boots that are in their third year with me, cost me £100 on eBay and I luffs them.

And my £50 Ash boots, sold by the lady who was given them as a gift and didn't like them.

ThenWeTakeBerlin Mon 20-May-13 14:58:11

Thanks, nethuns grin

I really like them though! I could wipe them thoroughly with an anti-bac wipe?

ThenWeTakeBerlin Mon 20-May-13 14:51:35

I'm on my phone and the pound signs aren't working confused

They're currently 20 pounds (p+p 7 pounds). New, they'd be at least 235 pounds. Bargain?

nethunsreject Mon 20-May-13 14:49:56

No, I don't. Happy to buy 2nd hand clothes, but shoes. . . eww, as you say! Lots of people do though.

ThenWeTakeBerlin Mon 20-May-13 14:48:56

Just that really. I happily buy 2nd clothes but always been a bit eww with used shoes. Is that a bit irrational?

I've seen a pair of Chie Mihara shoes on eBay, auction ends tomorrow night. They're currently at £20 & £7p+p (they'd be at least £235 new)

Do you buy used shoes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now