The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

urgent advice needed...seller wants to send me cash

(58 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Thu 09-May-13 18:29:16

Sold an item for a good amount and my listing says that i only take Paypal or postal order. Buyer is obviously a dealer, who buys items such as what he bought off me, and sells on. His feedback as a seller isn't great. Anyway...he has messaged me, saying his Paypal account is frozen due to a dispute with one of his buyers in Russia. I have had experience of similar myself..i now longer sell to Russia / E Europe as has been nothing but a nightmare (items going 'missing', stolen etc, and i'd lose money every time as eBay would automatically refund the buyer from my Paypal). So his reason could easily be genuine... He wants to send me the cash, by Registered post. Would you accept? I know cash thru post is against eBay rules. If i then got the money checked out by bank (as to if were genuine notes) i could post his item , also by Registered. Would i as a seller, be protected? If he had a complaint or pretended item hadn't arrived.. could eBay refund him from my Paypal? I'm guessing not, as that would only happen if he'd paid me via Paypal? Of course receiving cash means i don't pay the Paypal fees either. Really don't know what to do! Is he dodgy?

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 17-May-13 13:55:21

thanks!

lljkk Fri 17-May-13 07:25:48

good to hear it was a happy ending smile

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 16-May-13 22:11:14

the over 3000 feedback is from the last 8 yrs. I am not a business seller and don't need to pay tax on it. I've also had big gaps of not selling. About 10% of that feedback is as a buyer. I've sold my own stuff and stuff for family and friends.
It was sent Registered, so it's insured up to £500

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 20:47:25

erm - and who says the 3000 is from selling? It could easily be an account which has been active for 10 years or over.

Pendipidy Thu 16-May-13 20:42:08

she has feedback of over 3000! that is hardly selling the odd outfit that your child has outgrown!

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 19:33:52

if you are selling personal items you don't need to pay tax - you only need to register as self employed if you are buying items on to sell.

Alltoomuch - did you send special delivery? - recorded will not be sufficient for £148 worth.

Pendipidy Thu 16-May-13 19:09:07

And presumably as you are selling so many things on ebay, you are registered as self employed and paying tax on your earnings? If not, hmrc may pay you a visit!

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 16-May-13 18:58:09

wellllllllllllll....after all that (and thanks for everyones replies!) i received the cash today. Bank checked it out..fine...and i paid it in. Big relief. I sent his parcel by Registered. Maybe i was being v pessimistic but i've had so many bad buyers lately and this guy was initially messing me about. Fingers crossed he's happy with his items, but not much he can do if not!

lljkk Wed 15-May-13 18:50:38

That makes sense (do what Fergoose said).
And then I suggest relist it Buy It Now. Only 40p fee and you can start with a price of £148 since you know demand is out there. BINs get excellent prices for desirable items, I prefer them myself, better than waiting for an auction to finish.

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 17:32:09

yes but even so, I would still open the unpaid case. If the money arrives then just close the case - but what if she waits another 5-10 days, that is time she could have filed a case, got her fees back and relisted it and been paid by another buyer. I know what I would do. Many people promise payment and it never arrives. Waiting any longer won't change that. 10 days waiting is far too long already.

lljkk Wed 15-May-13 17:29:17

I think OP is desperate enough that no way she she want to cancel & relist and wait again for it to sell unless there is no other choice.

If he has sent it by registered post is there some kind of tracking info he could give OP to reassure her payment is on the way?

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 15:47:14

this is what you need to fill in - do it now, you have already given 10 days, I very much doubt they have sent you the money.

Plus make sure you add them to your blocked bidder list too

rebulk.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CreateUPIDispute&opencase=true

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 15:43:54

and please don't send them a cancellation request, you must file it as a non performing bidder, otherwise they can refuse it and you will be lumbered with the fvf still to pay, plus they can still leave feedback too.

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 15:42:32

you do have fees - 10% of the £148, final value fees. They will be showing in your ebay account, ebay will invoice you and ask you to pay them. You need to file a non paying bidder report now, the buyer still has 4 days to pay, and if he doesn't you close it and get those fees back and they get a strike.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 15:29:28

It ended on the 5th and my listing states to pay in five days and to pay by Paypal but he couldn't do that so asked if he could send cash. He acted really desperate so i'm surprised it's taken him all this time

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 15:27:51

i don't have fees, as i started it at 99p and was lucky it went up to £148 plus the postage. He has just replied , all he said was 'been sent'. So..fingers crossed. It's not for tickets, lljkk. I just really need the money asap as I don't think i'm going to be able to claim ESA for much longer . I literally need it to survive. I need the money now, not in days or weeks

lljkk Wed 15-May-13 15:01:28

Wait, don't panic.
When did auction end?
What date are tickets for?
When did he say he would post the cash, and on what date would he post?
There are ways you can report a buyer or move to cancel a transaction, but need more info to see if which rules apply in this situation.

fergoose Wed 15-May-13 14:57:19

so open the unpaid item case now, get your fees back then in 4 days relist it.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 14:12:58

so much for him making out he was desperate and couldn't wait to pay me by Paypal so would be sending me the dosh

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 15-May-13 14:12:21

I could cry, I really could. I'd agreed that he could send me the cash, by registered post. I am desperate for this money. I'm out of work at the moment due to stress/ depression (had a breakdown in Feb) etc and other people (not all eBayers) owe me money too. I'm fed up of people taking the piss. This buyer owes me £152 so that's over 2 weeks of benefits money to me. ie A LOT. He said he'd send it Monday. He also said he may not have computer access. (how convenient) I've just messaged him and asked if it was sent. If i re list, it's all the waiting around again. I need this money desperately. The bidder below him...they are no longer interested as have no money now. The person below them, the bid is too low for me so i won't be contacting them. I know this buyer only buys to resell. DP reckons he won't pay me until he's found the right price for my goods...so he won't pay me if he can't find his own buyer. Bastard! That's about 10 people not paid me in the last month..over £200. I have a good reputation, over 3000 positive feedback.... I have 100% pos feedback too

Personally I would not let someone send me that amount of cash. When ebay first started I had a few people send cash in the post and I hated it in case it didn't turn up - they would have thought I pinched it! I get really annoyed when sellers start to dictate terms and hassle me.

I would ask him to do a bank transfer. If he can't do that then a postal order because I think that will have your name on it and can be paid into a bank account like cash.

Or you can transfer money at a post office or bank - he can take his cash into a branch of your bank, with your account number, and pay it into that account.

All much safer ways than him sending cash.

If he won't do any of those then I'd apply for the transaction to be cancelled on the grounds of him not paying by either of the requested methods, and relist.

If he is so desperate to have it, he will hotfoot down to his local branch of your bank or the post office.

fergoose Fri 10-May-13 10:37:07

that's a point. I am sure fake notes are highly unlikely though?

SisterMonicaJoan Thu 09-May-13 22:12:15

I thought that if any money presented to the bank is fake then they CAN'T give it back to you as they have a duty to keep fake notes out of circulation?

fergoose Thu 09-May-13 21:40:19

if it is fake money you return it to them - I would think fake notes are unlikely though, but worth checking them with the bank.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 09-May-13 21:15:29

but if it's fake money... i won't send the item and can then re sell it. I would never take cheques again after bad experiences in past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now