This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

urgent advice needed...seller wants to send me cash

(58 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Thu 09-May-13 18:29:16

Sold an item for a good amount and my listing says that i only take Paypal or postal order. Buyer is obviously a dealer, who buys items such as what he bought off me, and sells on. His feedback as a seller isn't great. Anyway...he has messaged me, saying his Paypal account is frozen due to a dispute with one of his buyers in Russia. I have had experience of similar myself..i now longer sell to Russia / E Europe as has been nothing but a nightmare (items going 'missing', stolen etc, and i'd lose money every time as eBay would automatically refund the buyer from my Paypal). So his reason could easily be genuine... He wants to send me the cash, by Registered post. Would you accept? I know cash thru post is against eBay rules. If i then got the money checked out by bank (as to if were genuine notes) i could post his item , also by Registered. Would i as a seller, be protected? If he had a complaint or pretended item hadn't arrived.. could eBay refund him from my Paypal? I'm guessing not, as that would only happen if he'd paid me via Paypal? Of course receiving cash means i don't pay the Paypal fees either. Really don't know what to do! Is he dodgy?

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 16-May-13 18:58:09

wellllllllllllll....after all that (and thanks for everyones replies!) i received the cash today. Bank checked it out..fine...and i paid it in. Big relief. I sent his parcel by Registered. Maybe i was being v pessimistic but i've had so many bad buyers lately and this guy was initially messing me about. Fingers crossed he's happy with his items, but not much he can do if not!

Pendipidy Thu 16-May-13 19:09:07

And presumably as you are selling so many things on ebay, you are registered as self employed and paying tax on your earnings? If not, hmrc may pay you a visit!

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 19:33:52

if you are selling personal items you don't need to pay tax - you only need to register as self employed if you are buying items on to sell.

Alltoomuch - did you send special delivery? - recorded will not be sufficient for £148 worth.

Pendipidy Thu 16-May-13 20:42:08

she has feedback of over 3000! that is hardly selling the odd outfit that your child has outgrown!

fergoose Thu 16-May-13 20:47:25

erm - and who says the 3000 is from selling? It could easily be an account which has been active for 10 years or over.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 16-May-13 22:11:14

the over 3000 feedback is from the last 8 yrs. I am not a business seller and don't need to pay tax on it. I've also had big gaps of not selling. About 10% of that feedback is as a buyer. I've sold my own stuff and stuff for family and friends.
It was sent Registered, so it's insured up to £500

lljkk Fri 17-May-13 07:25:48

good to hear it was a happy ending smile

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 17-May-13 13:55:21

thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now