The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Seller with zero feedback and high postage costs- opinions?

(10 Posts)
bella65 Wed 24-Apr-13 09:23:25

Just taking soundings really- a bit of a AIBU!

I'm an experienced Ebayer- 200 feedback all 100%.
I wanted to bid for a dress but was put off by the postage- almost £6, for a very thin dress, and the seller has 0 feedback. I contacted her and asked if she would consider lower postage- but she said she 'always sent out items 1st class with signature required.' hmm begs the question about 'always' when she has no feedback so makes me wonder if she has poor feedback, has closed account and set up a new one.

I just get hacked off with sellers trying to make a quick buck from postage- the actual cost of the item would be £2.20 2nd class, and 60p to add recorded delivery.

Was it reasonable of me to ask for lower postage if I'd won the auction?

fergoose Wed 24-Apr-13 09:46:20

Well - I doubt she will reduce it, even though it is fee avoidance. It will cost more than that with new rates won't it.

I would shop elsewhere.

MrsZoidberg Wed 24-Apr-13 10:26:45

Agree totally that it is overcharging but I must correct your estimate of postage.

If it goes Small Parcel it will be £2.60 plus £1.10 for recorded.

Sorry to correct you, but it's a bug bear of mine that Ebayers don't realise just how much RM are charging these days so mark me down on P&P costs, even though I only add 30p to the price of the postage to cover packaging (all new packaging)

But other sellers taking the piss really annoy me too. There was a sewing pattern I really, really wanted but seller was charging £5 for what would actually cost 69p! Needless to say, I didn't bid.

OrlaKiely Wed 24-Apr-13 10:29:49

You can't negotiate postage after the end fwiw.

bella65 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:21:36

That's okay MrsZ but the latest figures I had were £2.20 for up to 1kg weight- as a packet- that's what I have paid up until about 2 weeks ago. Have prices changed over the last couple of weeks?
It's also just possible that some items could go as a large letter- up to 750gms- as long as the letter is not too big.

fergoose Wed 24-Apr-13 12:30:09

you need to pay extra for a signature don't forget.

TheYoniWayisGerard Wed 24-Apr-13 12:33:55

Prices have changed. Last week it cost me £5.20 to send three items of baby clothes second class standard. I use MyHermes now.

PurpleFrog Wed 24-Apr-13 13:02:41

bella65 - prices changed on April 2nd. Parcels larger than large letter can now fall into one of 2 categories dependant on size - it no longer depends on weight alone. BTW the lowest price band for small packet used to be up to 750g not 1kg

bella65 Wed 24-Apr-13 18:10:55

Thanks- I had missed the increase in postage costs as not posted any parcels this month.

BTW- why would a / the seller be registered in 2009 but not have any feedback now? Does this mean they have cleared feedback somehow ?

sarahtigh Fri 26-Apr-13 18:20:42

it means she has not sold in past 12 months

RM charge 2.60 for 2nd class small parcel and 1.10 for recorded 2nd class so would be 3.70 second and 4.10 1st class also small parcels must either be a 16cm cube or less than 8cm high
so very easy to end up as medium parcel which is £6.30 recorded

s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now