The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Advice re:postage

(5 Posts)
HairyPoppins Sat 30-Mar-13 23:02:28

I had to send an item to Australia from a local sub post office today as my usual PO is crown and was on strike, which I totally support because I don't want to loose them. It was a small number of gift tags, which I make for my business, I've been trading since 2006, all legit and above board. The customer wanted them in 14 working days for a birthday so I just wanted them in the post ASAP.

Then the following happened. The woman at the Post Office took my package before I stuck my customs form on and said it should go as a letter. I said that it was a business package of gift tags, needed a customs label, so just to hang on a sec. She said oh no, send it as a letter it's cheaper, and I said it's ok, my customer has paid the postage and she said, too late, I've put it through now. And then refused to give it back.

And then, just to make things even more awesome, wrote 'package contains gift tags' on the front. Add to this the fact I had to be in work in the next half hour and I couldn't really stand and argue. I am going to have to go to my proper PO and send out a new order, aren't I? I am getting really anxious about this, does anyone think they'll actually arrive where they're meant to be, on time? I'll be phoning RM customer services on Tuesday when they reopen, but stressing about it until then. Sorry for the essay <rambling>.

HairyPoppins Sat 30-Mar-13 23:13:20

Where are my manners? I should have said please in my title wink

GemmaTeller Sun 31-Mar-13 16:06:59

I post a lot out by airmail for my business and was told by the manageress an airmail letter could only contain 'folded paper' and anything else had to go 'small packet' - but - depending who actually serves me/processes my parcels depends on whether they themselves adhere to that rule!

I leave my parcels (complete with customs labels on) and pick the receipts up the following day when I drop my next lot of parcels off and can honestly say that nothing has ever not got to its destination whether its gone letter or airmail.

HairyPoppins Sun 31-Mar-13 16:16:11

Thank you, Gemma, that is really reassuring. My usual post office is super-helpful and does everything by the book. I think I'll be looking further afield for a new one when it closes down.

lljkk Sun 31-Mar-13 18:48:56

Shouldn't take more than 8 days to arrive as long as it's regular airmail (I sent something to Oz last month). I don't think you need worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now