This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is it worth it?

(10 Posts)
cheeseandchive Fri 22-Feb-13 17:34:35

ebay virgin here...

Have got a big bin-bag full of clothes, mostly high street with a few designer bits (diesel jeans etc) all in pretty good condition - keen to make a little bit of money for my holiday this year

I know it all depends on the quality of what you're selling and whether people want it, but I'm just wondering whether it's worth ebaying it. I'm not very technical so would need to read up/negotiate pay-pal etc which I'm happy to do if it's worth doing.

So, have you found ebaying stuff worthwhile? Or more hassle than it's worth?

whatyoulookinat Fri 22-Feb-13 17:37:37

Yes it is worth it especially for branded/ designer clothes. As long as you make sure you charge the correct p&p you can't loose.

lulu2 Fri 22-Feb-13 17:39:01

It used to be worthwhile a couple of years ago but now I don't bother anymore. Clothes alway sell for below their value and if you put a higher starting bid they don't sell.
More hassle than its worth.

whatyoulookinat Fri 22-Feb-13 18:55:32

lulu really? I've recently sold some of my Dps used clothes & got half the original cost back. £90 for used boots, £80 for a coat.Sometimes im a bit disappointed but like you say if you put a high deserve no one bids. I sell alot of kids stuff too, sometimes getting more than I've bought it for in the sale.
Well worth it imo.

cheeseandchive Sat 23-Feb-13 23:04:40

Good to hear different opinions - thank you!

I think I'll give it a go and just keep it simple, do things one by one and learn as I go along!

Tryharder Sun 24-Feb-13 08:47:05

Ebay is weird. You can get good money for something one day, the next day the same item will sell for 99p or not sell at all.

I would look at it this way: if you don't sell the items on eBay, you are going to have to give them away or take them to a charity shop so I would say that any profit you make is a bonus.

Plus you have to be realistic. Second hand clothes are second hand clothes and so their value is always limited. The problem with a lot if sellers on eBay is that they are convinced that their worn 2 year old Primark jeans are worth loads when really they are worth 99p if that!

Bellebelle Sun 24-Feb-13 08:54:03

I'd say it's worth it. As someone else has said if you're going to put it to charity shop anyway anything you make is a bonus. When I've got a bag of high street stuff I tend to look for a 'zero insertion fees' weekend, start everything at 99p and see what happens.

fergoose Sun 24-Feb-13 09:05:11

don't ever start at 99p - otherwise you risk only getting that. Unless you are selling something you know will attract lots of bids it is a daft move. Plus if you sell for 99p after paypal and ebay fees you will be lucky to get any profit at all. On a free listing weekend you can start at a higher price - that is the whole point. End your items in the evening, I find Mon or Tues the best, take lots of pics and measurements.

blueshoes Sun 24-Feb-13 10:29:02

I would say not worth it.

True, you get something over nothing (if you were going to donate or throw) but the amount of hassle to get that small amount of money (unless you are selling attractive designer labels in good condition) is IMO not worth my time.

You have to photograph, describe, estimate the postage, list, answer queries, and package post the item, leave feedback. Buyers can also cause aggro.

Say you list 10 items you might sell 5 and get £35? Whether that is worth the effort is up to you.

You might want to check whether similar items sell and if so, what they sell for, before listing, just to decide whether you want to list at all. Tick the 'Completed Listings' box in the Advanced search function.

cheeseandchive Mon 25-Feb-13 16:50:49

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking it might not be worth selling, I am disorganised at the best of times and v likely to put off dispatching things/mess up postage costs etc. Plus the Post Office near me is, I'm sure, not actually a PO and just a front for drug running/money laundering and, as such, service is terrible. Might hold back the designer bits though (just in case) and donate the rest, just to get it out the house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now